The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Friday, September 18, 2009

The Pandora Shuffle - The "Rest in Peace Mary Travers" Edition


image source

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary died this week. An iconic figure in American music, specifically the folk music movement of the 60s, her beautiful voice served as a clarion to inspire so much of the awareness and eventual change that decade provided.

Today, rather than a Lola shuffle, I'm using Pandora to provide music that is *genetically* related to the music of Peter, Paul and Mary, as well as songs performed by them. I created a Peter, Paul and Mary "station" and I'm going to list the first ten songs it plays.
  1. Sloop John B - Kingston Trio
  2. The Sound of Silence - Simon and Garfunkel
  3. Fly Away - John Denver
  4. All My Loving - The Beatles
  5. Shower the People - James Taylor
  6. Day is Done - Peter, Paul and Mary
  7. Flowers Never Bend With the Rain - Paul Simon
  8. Monday, Monday - The Mamas and the Papas
  9. Wild World - Cat Stevens
  10. If I Had a Hammer - Peter, Paul and Mary (A perfect song with which to end, in it Mary's voice is particularly strong and clear!)
"If I had a song, I'd sing it in the morning, I'd sing it in the
evening all over this land. I'd sing out danger, I'd sing out a warning,
I'd sing about love between my brothers and my sisters all over this
land."

That's exactly what Mary , along with Peter Yarrow and Paul Stookey did for so many years and in so many songs.

There's a new angel's voice in heaven this week and an angel's voice is always needed - in heaven and on earth. It's been a rough week for me and for people about whom I care very much. Listening to these songs, most of them quiet, gentle and inspiring, has helped.

Have a great weekend!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home