The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?

I was at work. My husband was home sick and watching TV when they interrupted with the news that the first tower had been hit. He called me and told me. While still on the phone with him, I accessed the live Internet feed for the NPR station in NYC. Apparently they are located near where the WTC used to be - as they were describing it as being very close. At this point everyone thought it had been an accident.

Then my husband said another plane had hit the second tower - and I told him he was probably just watching a replay of the first building. At that moment the NPR guy said the second tower had been hit. And that was it...the beginning of what turned into a national nightmare.

I'm planning to avoid any 9/11 coverage. It was tough enough when it happened, I' not ready to relive it. I'll just light a candle tonight and pray for the relatives of those who died 5 years ago today - and also pray that the violence unleashed by the event will end soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

I was running late for work. I had just called my boss to tell her I was going to be late, and she was yelling at me. I got a call waiting beep--it was my boyfriend and he said "Turn on CNN." I completely forgot to get back to my boss--which she did NOT find amusing--and sat on the end of my bed in shock. After the second plane hit-while I was watching live coverage, I shook myself out of my trance and drove to the office. I was listening to NPR, and they were interviewing someone live from the Pentagon when the explosion was heard over the line. The interviewee said, "That sounded like an explosion" and stayed on the line while he tried to investigate. When I arrived at work, my boss wanted to talk about my being late and generally irresponsible. I remember looking at her and watching her lips move, nodding in agreement and going to my desk. I have no idea what she said.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Did you watch GWB last night? And did you become unglued listening to him?

5:31 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

In response to Dixie's question - no, I did not watch Dubyuh's speech on 9/11. I was upset enough, and at this point all he does is upset me more.

I used to watch his speeches and drink shots every time he said something stupid, or annoying, or just plain wrong. Luckily I can hold my liquor really well.

Frankly, at this point, he has nothing to say that I need to hear. Except maybe "I wish President Gore the best of luck. Goodbye."

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home