The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

American Idol Recap – Week 2 – Grand Ole Opry



Country Week is always a tough week for the singers, if it’s not your genre it is dangerous terrain. Now, I’m not the biggest country music fan in the world, but I like some of it and this week they sang some of my favorites. That wound up being very good and very bad. Very,very bad.

OK, here we go…

Michael – Garth Brooks’ Ain’t Going Down (‘Til the Sun Comes Up) – he’s cute, he looked like he was having a good time, but I expected much better from him. I didn’t know the song, and I found it annoying. Meh…My score: 6

Allison – Patty Loveless’ Blame It On Your Heart – another song I don’t know; I didn’t like the outfit; the girl has a good voice, no question and it seems like a good choice for her even though it was a little screamy for me; I didn’t really like it. My score: 7

Kris – Garth Brooks’ To Make You Feel My Love – OMG He’s adorable; beautiful song and he sang it so simply and sweetly, no yelling or theatrics, he just sang; I was riveted watching him; loved it. My score: 9

Lil – Martina McBride’s Independence Day – Great song for her; I completely disagree with the judges – hello! she didn’t sound R&B because you know why? It was *country night*! She got the feeling of the song, do the judges not listen to the words? She nailed the strong high notes – she was excellent, I got chills! Unlike the dumb-azzed Kara and randy I’m *glad* she didn’t sign “I Will Always Love You”. Loved her! My score: 9

Adam – (allegedly) Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire – NO, NO, NO!!! Bad Adam!!! You do not mess with Johnny Cash people! Remember last season, on week 1 of the Top 12 during the first half of Beatles Week, when the god-awful Kristy blasphemed “8 Days a Week” by *countryfying* it? Well, this was the same only backwards. Now I like Adam a lot, but the whole thing was wrong - so let’s just pretend this aberration didn’t happen, and never speak of it again. My score: 3

Scott – Martina McBride’s Wild Angels – I don’t know the song, and from what I heard I didn’t like it. I thought his low notes were weird; piano was nice; I thought it was boring. My score: 5

Alexis – Dolly Parton’s Jolene – Great song choice; she looks beautiful and she sounds amazing; once again the judges apparently haven’t listened to the words because they kept telling her she didn’t sound dirty enough, well it’s not a dirty song – it’s a pleading song, she sang it just right. My score: 9

Danny – Carrie Underwood’s Jesus Take the Wheel – ACK! I *hate* this song, so pretty much anyone could have sung this and I would have hated it. But Danny's still my guy; hated the outfit; his voice was OK, not his best by far; just too cheesy. My score: 6

Anoop – Willie Nelson’s You Are Always on My Mind – another beautiful, iconic song, but Anoop, unlike Adam, was smart enough to respect the song and the genre. He sang it beautifully; he did so much better than I expected tonight; I never lost interest. My score: 9

Megan – Patsy Cline’s I Go Walking After Midnight – I love this classic and I think it was the perfect song for her; she looked beautiful! The minute she started singing I was confused as to what she was doing, I didn’t dislike it but I didn’t get it – I thought it was some weird affectation; later they explained she had Influenza B (?) and she had been to the hospital. While she didn’t perform as well as I think she could have with this song, I think she still did pretty well. My score – 7

Matt – Carrie Underwood’s So Small – (zzzzzzz – Huh? What? Yawn...) Boring. I’ve never heard the song and I thought both the song and Matt were boring. I think he’s a much better piano player than singer. I’m so done with him. My score: 4


Who I think is going home:
Scott

Who I would send home:
Matt

What do you think? Who was your favorite? Tell me in my Comments...




Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Hello there Hilda! Well have I got some comments to along with your recap.

First, Adam! I had to agree with Kara on this one, it was strange, but somehow it kept me mesmerized! Was it the best rendition of a Johnny Cash song....absolutely not. (The only Cash cover that I think is good is Live's version of Walk the Line). However, did it show off his range and theatrics...yes.

Second, Matt! To me, Matt was the best of the night. I thought the piano added so much, and the build up to the end was just fantastic.

Ok, that's my two cents!

9:20 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I've liked Danny the best all along, but last week I really started noticing Matt and this week, I'll agree with Matt, he was my pick.

I don't think Scott will go home...yet. I'm not sure who - maybe Megan? But there were so many songs I just didn't like I can't call it this week.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home