The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

American Idol Recap – Week 2 – Grand Ole Opry



Country Week is always a tough week for the singers, if it’s not your genre it is dangerous terrain. Now, I’m not the biggest country music fan in the world, but I like some of it and this week they sang some of my favorites. That wound up being very good and very bad. Very,very bad.

OK, here we go…

MichaelGarth Brooks’ Ain’t Going Down (‘Til the Sun Comes Up) – he’s cute, he looked like he was having a good time, but I expected much better from him. I didn’t know the song, and I found it annoying. Meh…My score: 6

AllisonPatty Loveless’ Blame It On Your Heart – another song I don’t know; I didn’t like the outfit; the girl has a good voice, no question and it seems like a good choice for her even though it was a little screamy for me; I didn’t really like it. My score: 7

KrisGarth Brooks’ To Make You Feel My Love – OMG He’s adorable; beautiful song and he sang it so simply and sweetly, no yelling or theatrics, he just sang; I was riveted watching him; loved it. My score: 9

LilMartina McBride’s Independence Day – Great song for her; I completely disagree with the judges – hello! she didn’t sound R&B because you know why? It was *country night*! She got the feeling of the song, do the judges not listen to the words? She nailed the strong high notes – she was excellent, I got chills! Unlike the dumb-azzed Kara and randy I’m *glad* she didn’t sign “I Will Always Love You”. Loved her! My score: 9

Adam(allegedly) Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire – NO, NO, NO!!! Bad Adam!!! You do not mess with Johnny Cash people! Remember last season, on week 1 of the Top 12 during the first half of Beatles Week, when the god-awful Kristy blasphemed “8 Days a Week” by *countryfying* it? Well, this was the same only backwards. Now I like Adam a lot, but the whole thing was wrong - so let’s just pretend this aberration didn’t happen, and never speak of it again. My score: 3

ScottMartina McBride’s Wild Angels – I don’t know the song, and from what I heard I didn’t like it. I thought his low notes were weird; piano was nice; I thought it was boring. My score: 5

AlexisDolly Parton’s Jolene – Great song choice; she looks beautiful and she sounds amazing; once again the judges apparently haven’t listened to the words because they kept telling her she didn’t sound dirty enough, well it’s not a dirty song – it’s a pleading song, she sang it just right. My score: 9

DannyCarrie Underwood’s Jesus Take the Wheel – ACK! I *hate* this song, so pretty much anyone could have sung this and I would have hated it. But Danny's still my guy; hated the outfit; his voice was OK, not his best by far; just too cheesy. My score: 6

AnoopWillie Nelson’s You Are Always on My Mind – another beautiful, iconic song, but Anoop, unlike Adam, was smart enough to respect the song and the genre. He sang it beautifully; he did so much better than I expected tonight; I never lost interest. My score: 9

MeganPatsy Cline’s I Go Walking After Midnight – I love this classic and I think it was the perfect song for her; she looked beautiful! The minute she started singing I was confused as to what she was doing, I didn’t dislike it but I didn’t get it – I thought it was some weird affectation; later they explained she had Influenza B (?) and she had been to the hospital. While she didn’t perform as well as I think she could have with this song, I think she still did pretty well. My score – 7

MattCarrie Underwood’s So Small – (zzzzzzz – Huh? What? Yawn...) Boring. I’ve never heard the song and I thought both the song and Matt were boring. I think he’s a much better piano player than singer. I’m so done with him. My score: 4


Who I think is going home:
Scott

Who I would send home:
Matt

What do you think? Who was your favorite? Tell me in my Comments...




Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Hello there Hilda! Well have I got some comments to along with your recap.

First, Adam! I had to agree with Kara on this one, it was strange, but somehow it kept me mesmerized! Was it the best rendition of a Johnny Cash song....absolutely not. (The only Cash cover that I think is good is Live's version of Walk the Line). However, did it show off his range and theatrics...yes.

Second, Matt! To me, Matt was the best of the night. I thought the piano added so much, and the build up to the end was just fantastic.

Ok, that's my two cents!

9:20 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I've liked Danny the best all along, but last week I really started noticing Matt and this week, I'll agree with Matt, he was my pick.

I don't think Scott will go home...yet. I'm not sure who - maybe Megan? But there were so many songs I just didn't like I can't call it this week.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home