The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

American Idol Recap - The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber


I had read rumors on "the Internets" that tonight was only going to be music from "Phantom of the Opera" which would have been a train wreck for several of our Idolwannabes. Thankfully they were able to select from the entire songbook, which pretty much has something for everyone. But there were, at least for me, surprises in song choices.

Syesha - "One Rock and Roll Too Many" from "Starlight Express" - she was awesome!; this was by far her best performance; she looked great, owned the stage and her voice was flawless; regardless of what happens she's good to go on Broadway. Score - 9


Jason - "Memory" from "Cats" - Oy vey! Jason, Jason, Jason, what were you thinking? I thought for sure he would do "Any Dream Will Do" from "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" - that song was written for him!; anyway, he looked great, and his voice was good, but not strong enough for this iconic song; I'm worried about him. Score - 6


Brooke - "You Must Love Me" from "Evita" (the movie) - Uh oh! she messed up the lyrics and freaked herself out a bit; still I think she came back from it relatively well; a beautiful song and a great choice for her which I hadn't thought of; I thought she would go with "I Don't Know How To Love Him" from "Jesus Christ Superstar", but that would have been a safer choice; she looked beautiful and except for the freakout part she had the perfect emotional tone for the song. Score - 7


David Archuleta - "Think of Me" from "Phantom of the Opera" - I don't know this song; he sang it well but I felt the low notes disappeared; he still has no stage presence whatsoever; the performance was boring; he annoyed me less than usual. Score - 7


Carly - "Jesus Christ Superstar" from "Jesus Christ Superstar" - good choice for her voice; she looked great; it was OK, but I didn't love it. Score - 6


David Cook - "Music of the Night" from "Phantom of the Opera" - WOW! I totally didn't expect this and he was fantastic!; I thought for sure *he* would do "Jesus Christ Superstar"; his voice was excellent in this number; he looked comfortable; he proved he's *not* a one-trick pony who has to *rockerize* everything; I think this was the performance of the night. Score - 10

Wishes:
My Bottom Three - Carly, Brooke, David Archuleta
Who do I want to see leave? - David Archuleta

Predictions:
Their Bottom Three - Carly, Brooke and Jason
Who will leave? Brooke

So, who best performed your "music of the night"?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I was really glad to see Syesha do such a great job on that song. David A didn't wow me but then he rarely does -- mostly he bores me. David Cook was really good -- Syesha's performance was probably my favorite though. I was very unhappy with Jason doing Memories -- he could go tonight although I expect it will be Brooke.

7:55 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I actually have seen Michael Crawford perform Music of the Night so I didn't jump on the David Cook bandwagon but he was good. He kind of reminds me of how Constantine always looked at the camera so much a few years back, it's sort of creepy.

And I really love Phantom and Andrew Lloyd Weber is an amazing songwriter, but didn't he kind of remind you of Austin Powers? He was sort of giggly and googly eyed all night, it made us laugh.

And I DID NOT want Carly to leave. I was a bit surprised.

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home