The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Book Review - "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly


I loved The Book of Lost Things. I had read and heard great reviews from several sources so I was looking forward to reading it.

It was much more violent and gory than I expected, and it's definitely not for kids - not even young teens. In addition to significant violence, there are subtle yet definite allusions to bestiality, cannibalism, extreme violence against children, etc.

I found the writing to be extremely accessible, in part because you are familiar with the stories - sort of. I know I'll never think of Little Red Riding Hood in the same way. The pace lags a little in the middle and I thought the ending was a bit rushed, but the story is so original and so smart that you overlook those minor narrative issues. It has that "makes-you-want-to-keep-reading" quality and was suspenseful, funny and a little scary - all the makings of a great story.

The character development, particularly David's (the protagonist), is fantastic - you clearly see him mature in his actions and reactions. The Crooked Man is a great villain with hints of Rumplestiltskin, Satan and other "tricksters".

I definitely recommend it for adults - not kids.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I agree, I agree, and I agree! I remember that when I was done reading this book I was a bit sad, because I wanted more! Maybe there will be a sequel later. The next one I want to check out though is John Connolly's collection of short stories called Nocturnes.

8:34 AM  
Blogger sari said...

This has been on my list to read. Today I'm getting "The Monsters of Templeton", you should check it out, it looks great!

Also, I read the Thirteenth Tale, I look forward to hearing what you thought of it!!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home