The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Do you like poetry?


April is National Poetry Month. There are all sorts of activities for the month at Poets.org.

I'm not a big poetry person, I have to be in the mood for it, and even then I much prefer to see the poem "performed" rather than read it.

However, in honor of Poetry Month, I thought I'd post one of my favorite poems "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes. I read this when I was in about 4th or 5th grade and I think this, later reinforced by the original airing of "Roots" , is what taught me about the reality of racism.

Mother to Son
Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

What's your favorite poem? If you post it to your Blog to commemorate National Poetry Month, please let me know in my comments.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I definitely want to do this! But first I have to think of my favorite poem. This might take a while!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Karoda said...

girl, there is no way in the world i could ever narrow down to a favorite poem...but i'll say it has to be anyone i'm currently working on :) or reading by another poet.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home