The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

American Idol Recap - Mariah, Mariah, Mariah...They Call the Wind Mariah


I pretty much expected this to be a nightmare. I really don't like Mariah Carey. I'm sorry but I don't like her voice - she shrieks way too much. I also don't like her personality, her *look*, or most of her songs - so a whole night of Mariahness scared me a little. As it turned out I only recognized two of the songs.

Anyway, it's over and now and I'm OK. I just need to make it through her performance during the results show. I will either record the show on DVR and FF through her performance or I'll watch it live and just walk away while she performs.

The performances:

David Archuleta - When You Believe - Never heard the song before; I thought the song was boring and the performance was boring and the child is boring; yes, his voice is fine but he has absolutely no stage presence whatsoever! I'm tired of dumping on this kid, but was he more dorky than usual or was it just me? Score - 5

Carly - Without You - I love the Nilsson version of this song, from the 70s but I *hate* the Mariah version - too screamy; Carly looked good; her voice was good but she seemed tentative; it was OK but I think it could have been better. Score - 7

Syesha - Vanishing - Don't know the song; she looked beautiful; I'm guessing Syesha was in heaven, since she likes the screamy singing and does it quite well and did a whole hella lot of it tonight; the whole thing made my head hurt. Score - 6

Brooke - Hero - This song I know, and don't like it when Mariah belts it; but I loved Brooke's interpretation, it was understated, simple and pretty; Brooke herself looked very pretty as well. Score - 8

Kristy - Forever - Never heard the song; didn't like Kristy's voice tonight; the low notes disappeared and the others were nasally or something; she didn't even look as pretty as she usually does. Score - 6

David Cook - Always Be My Baby - Never heard it before but loved David's performance; I don't know how different it was from the original, but it was pretty rockish, so I'm guessing it was quite different; he looked comfortable and sang the hell out of it. This guy might win this thing. Score - 9

Jason - I Don't Want to Cry - He's my boy; he looked great and sounded great; again, I'd never heard the song, but I liked it by him - it was very pretty and easy. Score - 8

Wishes:

My Bottom Three - Kristy, Syesha and David Archuleta

Who do I want to see leave?
David Archuleta


Predictions:

Their Bottom Three - Carly, Syesha and Brooke

Who will leave? Carly

Who were your bottom three? Who do you think should leave? Are you Mariah Carey fans?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Yay! Back to agreeing on Idol again! I think that for the most part, it was an interesting week. Some of it worked, some of it didn't. David Cook went beyond knocking it out of the park...he knocked it out of the park and out of town! The original version of Always Be My Baby, is very pop-upbeat. It was Mariah before she went R&B.

Anyways, I loved Brooke as well, but agree with the judges in that she stumbled a little and began to speed the song up.

Anyways, who do I think will be in the bottom three?
- Syesha, Brooke, & Kristy
Who is going home?
- Syesha

8:14 AM  
Blogger Adam Thornton said...

Thank you for watching so I don't have to! :)

I really don't like Mariah's style either. Toni Halliday (lead singer for "Curve") summed it up well when defending her own somewhat deadpan style of singing: people like Mariah Carey spend so much effort on vocal acrobatics that they completely lose the emotion. I agree. Listening to her is like going to the circus.

Plus, what a weird concept for a show...it's not like she wrote any of these songs, did she?

Yes, Nilsson's version of "Without You" is absolute tops. One of the all-time great sad-love songs (which I'd lump in with "Air That I Breathe" by The Hollies).

8:48 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Muffy,

As a matter of fact she writes a lot of her songs, apparently.

It's not that I don't recognize that the woman has a phenomenal voice - last night they said "she can sing five octaves" or something absurd. But your description is perfect, there is so much "vocal acrobatics" that it detracts from the emotion of the song - it distracts both her and the listener.

9:07 AM  
Blogger sari said...

well, for reference, Pat Benatar can sing five octaves and has a hell of a lot more emotion and personality than what we saw last night.

I don't get why they get people in there as "mentors" who basically just stand around and try to find something nice to say about people. Mentoring is providing leadership to people who need it, isn't it? I didn't see a whole lot of that going on.

I don't want Carly to go, I like her voice the best.

Sigh. I think I'm going to go watch Top Chef now.

9:34 PM  
Blogger sari said...

PS In my opinion, Harry Nilsson is one of the all time great songwriters (and singers).

9:35 PM  
Blogger Adam Thornton said...

I'm with you on that, Sari! Sadly, the songs he's most known for tend to be the songs he didn't write himself.

Thanks Hilda, I'd just assumed Carey sang other people's songs. I respect her ability as well...but her execution is torture to my ears.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I clicked on a link and it led to this page. I read some of the comments and i disagree. I think Mariah Carey has a wonderful voice and expresses herself through music and helps people dramatically with their lives. Mariah has an 8 octive range, and works hard to present this to its best as she rests her voice before any vocal performance for a long time. I have been helped by Mariah's songs, as they have meaning and substance. She hasn't wrote some of the songs, but a lot of them she has. She not only sings, but writes and produces her music and sometimes co-writes and co-produces. I think you should give her a chance and listen to the words she is singing as they are beautiful and truly wonderful. I think she is a great example to anybody aspiring to do anything. She had a hard childhood and made her way to the top by hard work and determination. She deserved to be seen as a mentor on american idol, because she sets an example of what you can do when you have a dream. The contestants on american idol all want to do well, and i believe she shows you can do anything and overcome any problems like she had to overcome discrimination throughout her life. I respect all your views, as i think Mariah is probably more appealing to the younger generation as I am only 16 myself, and think she is amazing.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home