The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Book Review - "Breaking Dawn" by Stephenie Meyer

I liked Breaking Dawn. I didn't expect to, but I did. Not only had I read about so many fans of the series being upset and the reviews being mostly mediocre to poor, I had some serious misgivings about parts of the story.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a great book, there were a lot of inconsistencies, the biggest of which being how did Bella, a barely average girl, become a super-vampire? Why was she able to adapt so easily and wind up being such a force? If there was an explanation, I missed it. Bella's character development, while definitely there, wasn't logical. Had the Bella in the first three books been a logical predecessor to the Bella in this book I might have disliked her less. I also thought the build-up to the final confrontation was more than was merited and culminated with a fizzle.

Now, to what I liked. It kept me entertained and wanting to read more. It was exciting, unpredictable in parts and just a good story. I wasn't bothered by Jacob's resolution and was happy with how the Cullens were developed and other vampires introduced into the story. Clearly I like the story best when the vampires take center stage. I was happy that she finally told Charlie - sort of, but still believe she sold Renee short.

I'm glad I read the series, it was - except for "New Moon" - entertaining. However, IMO, it can't compare in quality to the Harry Potter series. In short, I will keep the entire Harry Potter series forever, but I will sell the Twilight series.

I'm still not sure I like the messages the series sends to young women specifically and don't think it has the universal life lessons offered in the Harry Potter series, but it was fun and easy to read.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

I suppose for Urban Fantasy fans, it was inevitable that Bella had to go all fangy.

Boo.

Hey, get all your blog buddies to visit my blog and vote for the theme music for my TV show! I know you'll appreciate what I'm trying to do...

3:49 PM  
Blogger sari said...

I personally was glad Bella went fangy. i did not like the 2nd and third books as much. I thought there was too much Jacob talk and Bella was so wishy washy about everything. And not enough Edward. So I was glad that it ended the way it did, though I will admit, I hated the baby's name. Hated! Ack.

The Harry Potters are really amazing, yes, though I did enjoy Twilight immensely. Also, being older I didn't idolize Bella like I think a lot of teenagers do...it was easier to just love the story.

Have you read Midnight Sun on Meyer's website? It's Twilight from Edwards POV, though it only goes to chapter 12. You should check it out.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home