The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Friday, September 22, 2006

Banned Books Week


September 23 - September 30 is Banned Books Week 2006.

During Banned Book Week, I encourage you to read a Banned or Challenged Book. Look through the ALA web site, there are several lists of books based on varying criteria as well as lots of disturbing (at least to me), yet interesting information.

The list of challenged books includes "To Kill a Mockingbird", "Catcher in the Rye", "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", "The Color Purple", and of course the *oh so dangerous* "Harry Potter" series. The lists go on and on.

Next week I'll be reading Judy Blume's "Forever" - primarily because someone thinks I shouldn't!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

I get a very smug feeling when I peruse the banned books list and can pick out quite a few that I have read. I haven't read Forever yet...be sur to tell me how you like it.

10:33 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I'll be wearing my homemade Harry Potter shirt proudly this week and have to say...I have a lot of those books.

Maybe I should carry my 25 year old copy of Catcher in the Rye with my when I take my kids to school, LOL.

Stupid banners.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I too feel smug when I find that I have read many of the books on the list. I feel even smuger (is that a word?) when I see that my kids have read many of them. This year I read "To Kill A Mockingbird" and I will also buy, read and give as a gift some of the "Captain Underpants" series. I am very curious to see what evil lurks there.

I don't remember how old I was when I read "Forever" but I read all of her books as a kid. The one that hit the nail on the head for me and I think should be required reading for all pre-teen girls is "Are you there God, it's me Margaret". I absolutely loved that book and I have recommended it to every parent of daughters that I know.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home