The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

American Idol Recap - Week 2

The British arrived, the British arrived!

So it was British Invasion Week in Jolly Old American Idol. I have to say I'm a little disappointed at who we "didn't" hear - where were The Troggs ("Wild Thing"), Manfred Mann ("Doo Wah Diddy"), The Who (anything!), Petula Clark ("Downtown"), The Animals ("House of the Rising Sun"), etc. ?

And oh yeah, a little group called The Beatles?

Anyway, let's get down to the performers:

Haley - "Tell Him" - I love this song, and it was a good choice for Haley, and it was better than last week, but that's really not saying much. She looked lovely, certainly *working her assets* with the short shorts, high heels and skimpy halter. Hey! A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do and there's really only so much Haley *can* do in this competition and frankly, I think she's done it. I don't think there's much more there. Oh not for nothing, but girlfriend can't shimmy worth a damn - I'm just saying.


Chris R
- "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" - (yawn). Love the song, hated the performance. Again, I just don't care. His performance is the one during which you go to the bathroom, to the kitchen to get a drink, etc.


Stephanie
- "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" - (sigh). This is one of my favorite songs of the whole night - I love Dusty Springfield. I was so excited when I heard Stephanie was going to do this song, but she so disappointed me. She should have hit this one out of the ball park but she only hit it to the outfield (look it's a sports reference - I'm trying here!). Seriously, this song is tailor-made for her voice, I don't know what happened. Again, even when Stephanie's bad she's still good, but she could have done much, much better.


Blake
- "Time of the Season" - OK, so I hated his performance less this week, but I still don't get it. There was minimal squeaks, squawks and spitting but when you take the "razzle dazzle" out of his show, his voice is just...there. Again, a great song, but his performance was wasted on me.


LaKisha
- "Diamonds are Forever" - What can I say? Home girl can sing! She totally got the whole Shirley Bassey vibe going (can't you just hear her growling "Goldfingaaaaar"?). I don't particularly like this song, but it didn't matter - she was fabulous.


Phil
- "Tobacco Road" - Phil, Phil, Phil...for the love of the goddess, can someone please get this boy some vitamins, perhaps an appointment at a tanning salon? All over the Internet they're calling him ”Nosferatu”
and ”Bat Boy” . Not me! I'm not calling him that - I like the guy! I'm not saying it's nice, I'm just saying what *they're* saying. OK, the performance: I have never heard the song, but I liked it. It was bluesy and rocky...but Phil's performance was just OK, it didn't wow me. Like Simon, I'm worried about him for the elimination.


Jordin
- "I Who Have Nothing" - I love, love, love this girl. I said it last week, I'll say it again - she may win this thing. Her performance was, IMO, flawless. She looked absolutely beautiful, she picked a difficult song and nailed it, and she's getting better every week. I know I'm going to garner the wrath of the world, but I thought hers was the performance of the night. I think this song was more challenging thatn Melinda's song - so sue me!


Sanjaya - "You've Really Got Me" - Fine, he sucked less than last week. And he was cute in a demented, teen idol who had one too many Red Bulls sort of way - but this child has got to go! If he doesn't get eliminated tomorrow he goes on the American Idol tour, torturing innocent people all over the country. Seriously - enough is enough, back to school for him.


Gina - "Paint it Black" - I really, really like her and liked her performance. She rocked it out and looked great. ROCK ON Sistah Friend!


Chris S. - "She's Not There" - Great song, great performance, IMO, the best male vocal of the night, as usual. "Fro Patro!!!"


Melinda - "As Long as He Needs Me" - obviously she's the one to beat. Again, I didn't know the song but it didn't matter. She was wonderful, she was flawless, she was Melinda! The only reason I choose Jordin as the best vocal of the night is because I think her song was more difficult. Melinda should, IMO, challenge herself more - she can handle it.


Who should be in the Bottom Three? Haley, Chris R. and of course, Sanjaya


Who should leave? Sanjaya, Sanjaya, Sanjaya!!!


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I almost feel kind of bad laughing that Sanjaya will be touring the country next summer as a top ten finalist!

PS Lola has been tagged, go to my blog and check it out. It's small and easy.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home