The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

American Idol Recap - Week 8



The Music of Bon Jovi

I really like Bon Jovi, but I'm a relatively new fan. I always knew who they were and enjoyed the music enough in the periphery of my life, but within the last 7 years or so, due to my friend's husband I've come to appreciate them more. I even went to see them in concert - I went with my friend's husband and son and it was great! So I was excited, albeit wary, about "Bon Jovi Night" on AI.

So, let's get to it:

Phil: "Blaze of Glory" - WOW! Not among my favorite Bon Jovi songs, but Phil completely sold it! He sounded terrific, strong voice, great energy in the performance, lots of feeling - and he looked good, like he's gained a little weight. I think this was THE performance of the night.

Jordin: "Living on a Prayer" - It had to happen, she had to have a bad night. One of my concerns about tonight was that Bon Jovi doesn't really have "chick songs" or even neutral songs - they are pretty much all guy songs, and Jordin picked a difficult song. She's a talented girl, and arguably a bad night for Jordin is a stellar night for others - but she's Jordin and we've come to expect awesome all the time. I thought she was brave to try such an iconic song, her high notes were good and that she looked beautiful - but this was definitely not her night.

LaKisha: "This Ain't a Love Song" - I'm impressed. She pulled it off - I was really worried about her. I had never heard the song but she did a good job with it. She looked good, her voice was strong and her high notes controlled. Way to go Kiki!

Blake: "You Give Love a Bad Name" - OK, I know a lot of you will disagree, but I thought this was horrible. The primary reason I so actively dislike Blake was because at the start of the season he was *beat-boxing* on everything. He finally stopped doing it, and now he comes back with this crap and does it with an iconic song. I thought it was a nightmare. Oh, and he looks better blond.

Chris: "Wanted: Dead or Alive" - (yawn)...only this kid can make this song boring. He was nasally, he was uninspired, there was no emotion. Bleh. Can we please be done with him yet?

Melinda: "Have a Nice Day" - Again, I was worried, but of course - she nailed it. She did a great job with the song, but once I heard her singing it I wished *she* had sung "Living on a Prayer" - she totally has the voice for it. In this song she seemed to be building up to a great vocal burst that isn't in the song. It was anti-climatic. But she was still wonderful.

Bottom Two: Blake and Chris

Out this week: Blake and Chris.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I have to disagree on Blake - I thought he really sounded great last night after two snoring weeks in a row. It's weird because usually I don't like people messing with songs, I'm usually good with the original and that's it.

But Bon Jovi...I really LOVE Wanted, Dead or Alive, but other than that, I have no great preference for any of their songs, so I didn't mind it.

I think it will probably be Phil and Chris to go, because Phil always seems to be in the bottom three, and Chris honestly can't hang around much longer. I did think Phil did a great job last night, but they're counting two weeks of votes in a row, and I don't know if he's brought his game up enough to stay.

And, he's just WAY too sweaty without his hat, he should always wear one. Poor Phil.

And what about that big smacking kiss between LaKisha and Simon - great!! I thought LaKisha was really back in form last night, she seemed like she was having fun from the get go.

Melinda, of course, was great. Jordin, you're right, not a good week for her at all, though I think she's wonderful.

I can't wait for tonight to see what happens! I'll think of you when Jon sings!

:-)

5:25 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I just want Chris to go -- that's all I care about. The other one -- Blake or Phil -- makes no difference to me.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home