The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Book Comment - "Suite Francaise" by Irene Nemirovsky


This is a "comment" not a review because I didn't finish the book.

Suite Francaise (I read a translation) is very well written with beautiful language, but I was never able to get into it. There are too many characters and the pacing was too slow to capture my attention.

Maybe I'll pick it up again sometime.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

Oh, I enjoyed the book. It transported me. There were a lot of characters and I did get confused at the beginning but once I got into their stories I enjoyed it.
I did feel as if the book needed some polishing. As if somehow it was a series of stories that were put together. I would have to research it again but I think this was manuscript was found after her death maybe she hadn't finished putting her finished touches that would have been the connective tissue to make the stories a book.
But I did enjoy her writing and want to look for more of her books.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I was thisclose to buying this book but now I know not to. If you can't get into the story then I know I'm not going to be able to.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the book and didn't like the large number of characters and the unfinished feel. I thought it was an interesting approach to war with the 'ordinary/normal lives' of the people involved. Not one I would pass on though it is unique in that the author was very much a part of the time.

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home