The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Book Comment - "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway



This is a "comment" not a review because I didn't finish the book.

Well...it's over. I stopped reading "For Whom the Bell Tolls" - at least for now.

It wasn't working for me.

In the book, which takes place during the Spanish Civil War, Hemingway adopted the affectation of writing in a style that was supposed to be a direct translation of old-fashioned Castillian Spanish. I found it annoying as hell! The pacing was also too slow for me - particularly right now when I'm on over-drive.

I didn't identify or care about any of the characters - not even enough to dislike them. I was indifferent to all of them. The story has great potential IMO but I wasn't feeling it.

A couple of years ago I adopted the 50 page rule - if a book doesn't grab me by page 50 I move on.

I made it to page 65.

Sorry Papa.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an English major, particularly a creative writing major, I have to admit I didn't ready any of Hemingway's books. He is master of the first sentence that put forth what you were in for, but I never could make it past the first sentence. So I skimmed, read the last few pages and grabbed a Cliff notes.

There. I said it.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home