The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Monday, November 13, 2006

An afternoon at the opera

If you read my friend purplepassion's blog "Gimme Patience" you'll see she's also writing about the opera. That's because we went together. We got season tickets for this year's Florida Grand Opera, it's the inaugural season of the beautiful Ziff Opera and Ballet Center. We saw Verdi's "Aida" and it was fantastic.

This whole opera thing is a work-in-progress for me. Back in my early 20s I had a mild flirtation with a significantly older and quasi-dangerous Italian man - he was actually arrested in Cuba for allegedly smuggling Cuban art out of the country! Anyway, one night after a wonderful rodizio dinner and copious amounts of wine, we were discussing our likes and dislikes and I told him that I didn't really like opera. He told me that opera would be the last genre of music I would learn to love, he said I had to be exposed to many types of music to be prepared to appreciate opera. I think he might have been correct.

I have taken opera slowly and in small, easy doses - gradually increasing the amount and complexity. The first real opera I attended was two seasons ago, I went to see "Madame Butterfly". The following season I got a *three-pack* comprised of "The Barber of Seville", "Carmen" and "Rigoletto". Relatively light, popular operas. This year I went ahead and comitted for the full season - six operas.

The first was "Aida", the next one is by Mozart and the season culminates with "Anna Karenina" written for the FGO. So far I have thouroughly enjoyed all those that I've seen. Granted I'm not quite tackling Wagner yet, but who knows...maybe next season!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

Of all the ones that we have seen so far, Carmen is my favorite. I'm looking forward to the season. Aida was a great start.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Go see Tristan und Isolde. I don't know if it's good but it's Wagner and it's the opera that's playing here at the theatre that's down the street from me.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Bianca said...

A couple of years ago I went to an opera. I don't remember which one it was, but I do remember that the actual music was terribly boring to me at most points. I did, however, absolutely love dressing up in full opera regalia.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

I am SOOOO jealous about Aida. I just couldn't get back to town in time to see it.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home