The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Last Night's Card Game

We had soooo much fun! Although my husband wasn't able to attend because of a bad back - some of the other husbands went and actually played cards with us. It was great - I of course lost.

But actually a lot of the fun was just talking. I mean we girls talk all the time, but its unusual to just sit around and chat with the guys. Of course, since all my friends have kids, talk centered around them, and since most of the kids are teenagers, eventually the conversation turned to drinking and sex.

Regarding drinking, some of the parents were talking about the lectures they've attended through school, etc. about keeping your kids from drinking. It turns out that apparently it is illegal to allow your own kids to drink in your own home! And experts are now saying that giving your kids alcohol at home is a bad thing. I ardently disagree.


I grew up tasting cocktails and wine at home with my parents and now I know my limits and know how to handle my liquor. And what's more I knew this when I was of legal drinking age because I had learned at home. I just don't see the logic in flinging a 21 year old into the world to start drinking when they have *never* had a drink before. And I won't even get into how Spain, Italy and France teach children to eat with wine and they have no where near the teenage drinking problems the US has.

Now, when it came to talking about sex - OHMYGOD! I learned stuff I really didn't want to learn.


Alas, I'm out of time today...tune in tomorrow for "Stuff Hilda Learned About Teenage Sexual Behavior That She Really Didn't Want to Know!"

2 Comments:

Blogger sari said...

You'd probably need a whole different blog for that discussion, Hilda!

Glad you had fun, hope your hubby is feeling better soon.

10:23 AM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

This is so horribly frightening. I have a one year old daughter, and I am terrified to think about the games the kids may be playing when she is a teenager. I read an article yesterday about how behavior previously regarded as "teenage" behavior is now being seen in "tweens" - kids 8-12 years old. Very scary stuff.

NaBloPoMo rocks!

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home