The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Oh - look! Another non-racist acting like a racist!

Michael Richards 'Deeply Sorry' For Racial Tirade

In a video of the incident Richards purportedly screamed, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f---ing fork up your a--." On the videotape, some audience members are gasping in disbelief. Directing his anger at one of the men, Richards said, "Throw his a-- out," and said, "He's a n-----!" five times.

LINK

OK, you know what? I'm sorry, but IMO this is unacceptable. He has since apologized, and I have no doubt he is sincere, I don't think he is a bad man. However, these words came too easily to him, they flowed too freely and instinctively. The whole "fork thing" is not a common comment - I had never heard it and frankly, don't really know if I understand it!

Once again, this is one of the many reasons I think using racial/ethnic epithets "as a joke" or making racial/ethnic jokes is so dangerous. The words become familiar to you, they come easily and then all of a sudden you say them when you aren't supposed to.

I saw Richards' appearance on Letterman and to his credit he did say that the outrage this has caused is correct, that we should be outraged when something like this happens. I hope he can come to terms with what happened, face whatever demons made him behave like this, and that he can make amends to those who deserve his apology.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

Things like this disappoint me so much. You would think our society would have moved on past incidents like this happening but sadly it keeps happening.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home