The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Miami Book Fair International 2006

I spent Saturday and today at my favorite Miami event the Miami Book Fair International 2006 .


This is the 23rd book fair, and I have missed only 2 of them. On these two days I completely allow myself to be absorbed into books and book stuff. I rarely buy books at the book fair, I go to the author sessions. Every year both my days are filled with author readings and presentations, there are always conflicts where I need to pick one over the other.

It is probably my favorite time of the year - in some ways superseding even holidays. I enjoy the fair in a way I can't enjoy the holidays because it expects nothing of me. I disappear into the throngs and immerse myself in the ambience. If someone I know happens to run into me it literally jars me to come back to the real world - it's a weird sort of literary disassociation!

I usually go alone, however, if I do go with someone, we go our separate ways, meeting when we have a common interest. I used to go with my father, comparing our schedules to see where we would coincide, trying to coordinate a time for lunch. This year I met up with my best friend on Sunday afternoon - it was her first time, so we stayed together for the afternoon. Next year, she'll probably have her own schedule.

So, who did I see and listen to this year? I'll tell you:

  • Helen Thomas and Myra McPherson (journalists who have each written books - and all around fabulous women, specially Helen - she's a legend and a hoot!)
  • two local guys discussing Miami history and architecture
  • Jonathan Franzen ("The Corrections")
  • Nora Ephron (wrote a bunch of stuff - another fabulous woman)
  • A panel comprised of Anthony Bourdain (smoking hot!) and three other chefs, all of whom are included in a new book entitled "How I Learned to Cook"
  • Melissa Bank ("The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing", she has a new book)
  • Sara Gruen ("Water for Elephants")
  • Janet Fitch ("White Oleander", she has a new book)
  • Meg Tilly (the actress - she's written a couple of books)
  • two guys who wrote biographies of Harper Lee and Peggy Lee

And to top it off we've had fabulous weather this weekend, the first cool weather we've had this year, with practically no humidity and lots of sunshine. All in all a perfect weekend before the holiday insanity begins.


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger sari said...

That sounds great!

I've met Janet Fitch before, she was really nice.

Did you have fun??

10:40 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Absolutely! Fitch was very articulate and interesting and her new book sounds interesting. To be hinest I hated "White Oleander" I thiught it was badly written and way the hell too depressing.

I liked the author way more than I liked the book.

2:17 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Yes, I thought White Oleander was too depressing as well, but well written. I was surprised that she was so friendly and nice, it was quite a contrast!

I'm glad you had a good time.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home