The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Musings from the Big Easy

Sunday's Highlights:

  • Jazz Brunch at Antoine's - everyone MUST put this on their list of things to do before you die. OHMYGOD! This New Orleans tradition has been owned by the same family forever. This is where they invented Oysters Rockefeller and the original *secret* recipe does not contain spinach. I know it contains various greens, anise liqueur and...magic! Of course I had them as an appetizer, along with the house's signature cocktail "Antoine's Smile" - it has Calvados and other good stuff. My brunch entree was Ouefs Sardou (Eggs Sardou) which consists of poached eggs over artichoke bottoms, slathered with hollandaise sauce, served with breaded asparagus and the lagniappe (little surprise) of an anchovy fillet under one of them! Hubby had a Shrimp and Crawfish Bisque which contained his lagniappe, we're not sure what it was but he says it was delicious (some sort of seafood mousse). As an entree he had a crab meat omelet, which was chock full of fresh, sweet crab meat. While there, hubby was thinking of asking the jazz trio to play "Basin Street Blues" and all of a sudden, without him asking, they played it! Our fabulous waiter Chuck (who gave us his business card!) gave us a tour of the restaurant including the wine cellar which is slowly being rebuilt after being destroyed by Katrina, as well as several of the restaurants different rooms.
  • After brunch we went for a walk and discovered a blues band called Gary Brown and Feelings that was awesome - hubby bought their CD. As we were standing there watching them, I thought to myself that I should have requested "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans" which is one of my favorite songs and, believe it or not, they started playing the song! At this point I started crying because it was so perfect. (Yes, I'm a dork.)
  • I saw the Mississippi - breathtaking! I got a little verklempt here as well.
  • I tried a Pimm's Cup cocktail, at Napoleon House, the bar where it was an invented (it was my day for originals). There I met a very nice - albeit alcohol induced potty-mouthed - Southern gentleman, he reminded me of Truman Capote. Very nice.
  • Walked around more of the quarter - exploring, stopping at several clubs and listening to phenomenal music.

Now we're off to dinner...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

WOW! I am sooo glad you blogged from the Big Easy! I miss you! Sounds like you are having a fabulous time. Wish you were - scratch that- Wish I was there! :)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Yay! I'm so glad y'all are having a good time there. I'm envious of your meals!

4:56 PM  
Blogger sari said...

It sounds like a perfect trip, dork or not!

Personally, you know, for myself, I prefer Geek. But we're kin. :-)

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home