The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Regarding My Reading


For about 2 or 3 days, the book shown above, The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy, has been appearing in my "What I'm Reading" section. Well, I'm invoking the 50 Page Rule. The book was irritating the hell out of me - perhaps I'm not in the right frame of mind to endure the misadventures of a 22 year-old college graduate on a 2-year-funded-by-her-rich-uncle-so-she-doesn't-need-a-job jaunt in Paris! Call me an envious bitch, I'll own it, hell I'll embrace it!

I implemented the 50 Page Rule about a year ago when I quit my 10 year book club and decided that life is to short to read bad books. Often I don't get rid of the books I abandon, I may lone them out or just set them aside. I may decide I want to read them later. Of course it would probably be easier for me to part with a kidney than with a book, but that's a whole other dysfunction.

So, there will be no book review of "The Dud Avcado" for now. Oh, and I didn't comment on the book I read before this one because it was a very me-specific book written by a friend about her life and I didn't think anyone would benefit from a review of it because few people would be interested in reading it. (WOW! That was a long-azzed sentence.)

Hopefully the new book I'm reading New Art City, will be a more successful endeavor about which I will report later.

Or maybe not...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I like your rule. I'm going to adopt it myself. I used to not be able to "not finish a book" once I started it, but I have no problem setting it aside now.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home