The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Obama's Speech

Barack Obama gave a phenomenal speech today primarily dealing with the controversy surrounding his former minister Reverend Jeremiah Wright, here's the transcript.

From the speech (source - CNN.com):

Given my background, my politics, and my professed values and ideals, there will no doubt be those for whom my statements of condemnation are not enough. Why associate myself with Rev. Wright in the first place, they may ask? Why not join another church?

And I confess that if all that I knew of Rev. Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and YouTube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way.

But the truth is, that isn't all that I know of the man. The man I met more than 20 years ago is a man who helped introduce me to my Christian faith, a man who spoke to me about our obligations to love one another; to care for the sick and lift up the poor.

He is a man who served his country as a U.S. Marine, who has studied and lectured at some of the finest universities and seminaries in the country, and who for over thirty years led a church that serves the community by doing God's work here on Earth -- by housing the homeless, ministering to the needy, providing day care services and scholarships and prison ministries, and reaching out to those suffering from HIV/AIDS.


The politically expedient thing for Obama to do would have been to vociferously denounce and condemn Reverend Wright, a man who has played a profound role in his life. But he didn't. He acknowledged, and rightfully condemned, the message - but showed mercy towards the messenger.

I respect that tremendously. This world could do with more mercy towards those who make mistakes - even if they don't acknowledge that they've made them.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

I wholeheartedly agree. I read the speech in its entirety and thought it was fabulous. It prompted me to make a donation to his campaign today. Putting my money where my mouth is. ;)

1:14 PM  
Blogger TroyBoy said...

Hey there PP, have you been to my Obama blog? Hmmmm.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home