The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Random Dots


  • Last night I went to see David Sedaris "in concert". It wasn't a book signing at a book store, it was in a theater where he read from different sources. It was a surprise invitation from a dear friend, who advised that it was "her treat". How nice is that? It turns out to be exactly what I needed, a fun night out with a friend with whom I don't spend enough time. Before going to the theater we had dinner at her house with her 14 year old son who was a blast! We had bratwurst, macaroni and cheese, salad and my friend and I enjoyed a lovely Cab/Shiraz blend. We both realized it was the first time we had ever had macaroni and cheese with wine. It's a perfect pairing! Sedaris was fantastic. While I've read all of his books, except the most recent, I haven't liked them all - but he is fantastic in person. He's funny, irreverent, quirky, crude (but in a good way). If you ever get the chance to see him live, do so - it is totally worth it. and if you can do it with a friend all the better!

  • While I was watching Sedaris, hubby was watching the Philadelphia Phillies winning the National League pennant and making it into the World Series for the first time in 15 years! YAY PHILLIES!


  • Because of Sedaris and baseball, we DVRd the third and final (thankfully) Presidential debate. By the time I got home, watched the last 3 innings of the game with Hubby, watched the post-win celebration coverage and dealt with the plethora of calls from the in-laws in Philadelphia, we wound up watching the debate at around 12:30 a.m.. And then we watched the post-debate talking heads. I fell asleep after 4:00 a.m. - and woke up for work at 7:00 a.m. unable to pretty much move - my brain kept sending the signals to my body to move, but it didn't want to. After much cursing and sighing I finally dragged my caffeine-craving carcass into the office. Thus far I haven't fallen down, so I'm counting this as personal victory.


  • Regarding the debate - you all know I'm an Obama supporter, so you know I think he won the debate. I will give McCain props for the first half hour - he looked good, made some good points and even got in a couple of good and fair jabs at Obama. Alas, then he started trying to rattle Obama and when that didn't happen McCain pissed himself off and went downhill from there. All the polls, except probably FOX News (DUH!) had Obama winning the debate handily. YAY!


  • So about Joe the Plumber - no relation as far as we can tell to Joe Six-Pack - is not a licensed plumber. Oh, and the plumbers' union isn't happy with McCain's apparent appropriation of plumbers and in fact were the first labor union to endorse Obama. I don't know if that's important, but it amused me. Do you think Joe the Plumber knows about Andy Warhol ? Things that make you say hmmmm...


That's it for now...



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home