The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Thursday, November 5, 2009

2009 - New TV Shows



Well, we've had a few weeks to watch the new TV shows for the 2009 season. I've already dropped some of the ones I checked out.

The ones I'm keeping so far are: Flash Forward, Glee and Modern Family. Last night I recorded the season premiere of V a remake of the unremarkable 80s show. I haven't watched it yet - we'll see how that goes. This season is tough because so many good shows from prior seasons were renewed that it didn't leave much room for new stuff.

Here are the ones I dumped, how many episodes I watched before dumping them and why I dumped them:

Cougar Town - 1 episode - OK...going in to this one I had my doubts. Personally I find the term cougar when referring to a woman with a younger man is offensive and misogynistic. But, I've always liked Courtney Cox , so I thought I'd check it out. Before the end of the first episode I was deprogramming it off of my DVR. Not gonna happen.

Eastwick - 3 episodes - I loved the book and movie on which this show is based, I also like 2 of the three leading ladies and I like "witch" stuff, so I figured this had promise. Unfortunately the man who plays Darryl Van Horne (played brilliantly by Jack Nicholson in the movie) is too skeevy. Nicholson pulled it off because he can, you know, act. This guy? Not so much. He bugs me enough that I gave up on the show.

Vampire Diaries - 1/2 an episode - OK, I know I'm not the target demographic for "The CW", and I was pretty sure this wasn't going to work out. It didn't.

The Good Wife - 3 episodes - I actually like this show and if it survives, I'll catch it in summer reruns. I took it off the DVR because I don't have time for it. Julianna Margulies is fantastic as always, and Chris Noth is slimily delicious.

So what about you? What are you keepers and throw-aways?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Acinom said...

interesting... I also gave Cougar Town 1 episode. I loved Courtney Cox and Busy Phillips and I was disgusted at how insulting the whole thing was. They went for the cheap tasteless jokes instead of the smart ones that those actresses are capable of.

I also gave Eastwick 3 episodes. I agree on the high skeeve factor of that dude. I almost kept watching because it didn't suck, but I decided that wasn't quite enough of a reason.

I gave Vampire Diaries 2 episodes, due to my love for Ian Sommerholder. But then Flash Forward started and it lost me.

Into Flash Forward, LOVE LOVE LOVE Glee, and liked V enough to keep it up.

The one you didnt mention that I also have added and will enjoy the hell out of it this season since I doubt it will last, is the forgotten. It's actually pretty good, and it's not something you have to have seen others episodes to feel like you have a clue, so I recommend giving it a try :)

9:05 PM  
Blogger IslandPearl said...

Big Glee fan here and Flash Forwrd is definitely TIVo worthy.

Watched about 10 minutes of Cougar Town and a half-hour of Eastwick. And that was plenty.

And it's not a new show, but Fringe is satisfying my X-Files jones. I even liked the opener of V...the special effects were awesome and I like the depth of information in the expository episode. The dime bag approach to TV addiction -- get you hooked from the go.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

The new show that I watch in real time is The Modern Family. I LOVE it!
Hubby records just about every other new show.

The ones that we watch are: Flashforward, The Good Wife, The Forgotten.

He watches: all of the above plus Eastwick and Cougartown.

We also have all of the Three Rivers episodes and another one called Mercy. I think we've seen one of each and hoestly I can't tell you right now which was which.

I don't even want to try V.

I want to watch Glee but apparently there are recording conflicts so I don't get to.

I think that's all of them....

3:57 PM  
Blogger sari said...

We've been watching Modern Family, too.

I tried to watch Cougartown and I couldn't get through the first episode either. Blech.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I'm not that cranked on Modern Family. I've watched four or five episodes but I'm not knocking myself out to keep getting it.

Loooove Glee. Flash Forward is good as well. I think I'll start watching V.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home