The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Monday, May 14, 2007

Live from Minneapolis

I'm in Minneapolis and it is beautiful! I'm here for a Technical Writers' conference so I can't do too much sight-seeing, but what I've seen I've liked.

You know what I found interesting? In every public establishment I've been to - the hotel, restaurants, conference center, etc. - there's a sign saying something to the effect of "No Guns Allowed On Premises"! So of course, I asked the hotel concierge what that's all about. It turns out that Minnesota is one of the (I think) 48 states that issue concealed weapons permits - but this is the only place I remember seeing these signs. So pretty much the state may allow people to carry a concealed weapon, but all the businesses I've been to do not allow them...so much for that!

On a more pleasant subject, I've been having some lovely meals here so far.

Although I have tried my damnedest to find a frickin' frackin' Scandinavian restaurant, I've had no luck. So...I've had to "settle" for African on Sunday at a place called "Safari" where I had traditional Somalian Goat Stew - YUMMY! Monday I went to an Indian restaurant around the corner from the Convention Center called "New Delhi", there I had Coconut Soup, Onion Kulcha (a bread), Lamb Vindaloo with mango and tamarind chutney, Gulab Jamun (dessert - dough balls in rosewater and honey) and Chai. YAY!

Tuesday I think I'm going to a British pub and Wednesday to a Japanese place that specializes in teppanyaki (the fancy frying a la Benihana).


I still haven't found the Mary Tyler Moore statue...maybe Wednesday!

Well, that's it for now...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I wanted to say was to have a Dutch Letter, if you can find one. It's a flaky pastry and they're yummy!

11:21 AM  
Blogger TroyBoy said...

Remember to bring back edible souveniers!!!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Mmmm...British pub food. Just British pubs in general.

Glad you're enjoying your trip. Find that statue!

6:03 PM  
Blogger sari said...

I think here in AZ you can carry a gun openly as long as it's *not* concealed.

It's been a while since I've checked that, but I remember being at a restaurant with a friend on the river and a guy was standing there in shorts, sandals and his gun. NO shirt, nothing else. And it was perfectly legal (at the time). You never know when you're going to need your gun while you're out in your sandals and shorts, right?

Weird!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home