The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Book Review - "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert


Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert is a really interesting book. She divides her book into 3 sections of 36 short chapters each, based on the structure of japa malas. The book describes Gilbert's spiritual and actual journey after a very difficult time in her life.

The first section tells us about her time in Italy. It corresponds to the "Eat" of the book's title and is the section that describes the pursuit of pleasure. This is the section I most enjoyed and with which I most identified.

The second section describes her time in an ashram in India, corresponding to "Pray" in the title and tells us about her pursuit of devotion. I learned a lot about the process of meditation, but for me it went into too much detail and I found it a bit slow. I think this may be because I'm comfortable with my faith (if not my religion), and not really in *search mode* about this issue.

The third and final section tells about her time in Indonesia, specifically in Bali. This section corresponds to "Love" in the title and which she describes as her pursuit of balance. This is the section of the book where she most gets out of her self and tells stories about others, it was the most narrative part of the book and I found it very entertaining.


Gilbert writes in a very conversational tone and she's very self-effacing and funny. It is an easy read of important and complex subjects.

I definitely recommend the book.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home