The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I Want to Go...

Let's all run away to the Kerouac Festival – 50 Years of “On the Road” in Boulder, Colorado.

I loved "On the Road"...obviously my intro to the whole Beat scene. Afterwards I read several of Kerouac's other work, a biography and then graduated to Ginsberg's poetry.

I love the idea of running away for a few days to listen to people talk about Kerouac talking about running away.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."
-Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

I'll swing by and get you in the RV.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Toni,

Don't toy with my emotions woman!

:)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

That sounds like so much fun and I'm really needing to get away right now.

I've never read On the Road and I know I should. I'll add it to my growing list of things I must read.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Katya! A librarian that hasn't read "On the Road"! Run don't walk to the nearest copy. You should read it during its 50th anniversary! In fact I may read it aggin.

Serioulsy I'll be curious to see what you think. I'm wondering if it's one of those books (like Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye", Paulo Coelho's "The Alchemist", etc.)where you have to be a certain age when you first read it so that it has a major effect on you.

I was in my teens when I first read it and it made a huge impact. Either way though, the writing is - IMO - awesome.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home