The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Five Song Meme

I was wandering around the Blogosphere and found this challenge over at The Nose Knows - the idea is to do a shuffle on your iPod or iPod-like substance or PC or off the top of your head - anything that has songs in/on it. List the first five songs that come up, and then tell a story about the song - what it means to you, why it's there, where you got it, whatever.

Lola and I have accepted the challenge...here we go:

  1. Baby Can I Hold You - Tracy Chapman: This is from Chapman's self-titled first album which I bought for "Fast Car". Her voice is so amazing and the words are so evocative, you can hear yearning in her voice. One of my favorite Chapman songs.
  2. Honey I'm Home - Shania Twain: Fine! Go ahead and make fun of me, but I like Shania! I heard this song while watching the country video statin and got a kick out of it. The words to this song are awesome, it so describes those bad days that get worse, and then she gets home and tells her "honey" to pamper her and just let her chill. I totally relate - especially lately! It's a fun song.
  3. Passionate Kisses - Mary Chapin Carpenter: Love, love, love this song! A real woman's simple wants - she describes them and asks why shouldn't we expect all that *and* passionate kisses? I'm not sure when I first heard it, but once I did I immediately identified with it.
  4. Out Tonight - Rosario Dawson (RENT movie Soundtrack): I love this musical - both the play and the movie. This is a great song that Mimi sings late at night as she leaves her pole-dancing job, and she talks tough and actually howls. The song revs me up.
  5. Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin: I love that this song ends this shuffle! This is one of my all-time favorite songs. I am in awe of the beauty of Kris Kristofferson's poetry and of course, Joplin's amazing voice. The lyric and voice combination transports me into the story, a woman traveling, looking for something even though she doesn't know what it is - and she meets this beautiful boy, who eventually leaves. "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose". Indeed...

I guess Lola is in Girl Power mode - what a great selection! I wish I could claim all my iPod songs are this good, but those of you familiar with my Friday shuffles know the depths to which Lola can occasionally sink.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

That is a good selection. I love that Tracy Chapman song -- I think that's still my favorite album of hers.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Justin S. said...

Thanks for taking the challenge! I love the Tracy Chapman, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Janis Joplin songs.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

Like this meme... may do it myself....

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home