The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Deep Tissue Massages and "Scar Face"

What do Deep Tissue massages and "Scarface" have in common? I don't like either one of them.

OK, here's the massage story. About three years ago my sister-in-law gave me a gift certificate for something called SpaFinder, which allows you to use the certificate in one of many spas throughout the country - several in my area. It just so happens that the spa I normally go to for massages isn't in their network, but the one I chose has very good reviews and I know several people who have gone and love it.

Now at my regular spa I usually get a 90 minute stress relief massage, which is basically a Swedish massage - and it's fabulous. You come out all noodly and relaxed, but the usual tense areas - lower back, neck and stiff shoulders come back right away. So in looking through the options at this new place I saw they had a 50 minute combination Swedish/Deep Tissue massage where the deep tissue part focuses on problem areas, so I figured I'd give it a shot. The Swedish part was great and even some of the deep tissue stuff felt good, but at one point I actually had to tell her that was she was doing hurt! And she eased up and it was fine. I came out feeling good.

As the day progressed however, my neck and the area between my shoulder blades were bothering me a bit. When I went to sleep and I actually lay down on my back the shoulder blade area really hurt when I touched the bed! And today the area is really bothering me, specially when I touch it. So I Googled and found that it's apparently normal. I also called the spa and spoke to another masseuse (a guy) that said that it was normal to feel some discomfort because in deep tissue massage it actually *tears the muscle tissue*! But that was OK! I'm sorry what? How is it OK that I went in there with something whole and now it's *torn* - which means broken - but that's "OK"? He said it really was OK and then tried to make the concept clearer to me by making the analogy "it's like when you work out" which of course is completely wasted on me. So I popped some Advil and am hoping for the best. We'll see how that goes.

And then there's "Scarface" - yes the second one - the one with Al Pacino playing a Cuban drug dealer. I saw this movie in the theater when it came out in 1983 and hated it, but everybody keeps talking about it like it's the greatest thing since Spaghettios, so I figured I'd try again. Yeah - ummm - still hate it. I fell asleep through parts of it. It is waaaaaay too long to be listening what must be the worst Cuban accent in the history of Cuban accents on film. Don't get me wrong, I love Al Pacino, I think he's one of the generation's greatest actors - but in "Scarface" - not so much. The whole damned thing is so over the top, the violence, the language, the predictably stupid storyline, the stereotypes. Not doing it for me.

On a happy note, we went to my new favorite place - forget Disney World - my new Whole Foods is the new *happiest place on earth*! It was wonderful and I got some fabulous prepared Indian food to bring home - it was awesome. I also perused the wine section and am happy to report they have a nice selection of very reasonably priced Rose wines, and although not inexpensive, they have *Ice Wines*! YAY!

Another happy thing - I'm taking Monday off. [Dragging soapbox out and climbing on to it] Yep, commemorating when Christopher Columbus and company arrived on American shores and *discovered* a continent that had been inhabited for centuries (I guess all those people didn't know they were here!), and thus began the centuries of systematic cheating, raping, pillaging, enslaving and general havoc that Europeans inflicted on the indigenous people of the Americas! WOO HOO - let's have a furniture sale! [Stepping off soapbox and putting it away]. Hubby works at a bank and they have the day off, so I'm gonna stay home with him.

TTFN...:)





Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger sari said...

Have a great day off and I hope you're not torn for much longer. Sounds painful to me.

PS I didn't like Scarface either, not surpringly.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I'm jealous!I had an upper GI done this monring and now I am at work! Yipee!

The massage needs to tear you up because the reason those areas are problem areas is because they are so fixed in stone in the wrong position that they have to break it up to move it. You'll survive! I love them! I need one! oh, well...still jealous.

About Scarface don't read so much into it. There are a lot of shows and movies that take sterotypes over the top. Don't take them so seriously and just enjoy it for the farce that it is.

Have a lovely day off!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home