The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

New TV Season - "Cane"

I have a more than casual interest in Cane, obviously because of the Cuban-American angle. So, I watched Tuesday night's premiere and my first impression of it was that it was pretty good, but intense.

There's the potential for some disturbing stereotypes, but I want to see how they play it out. As for the Cuban culture aspect - it was the most accurate I've seen on TV ever. The creator of the series was born in Cuba and raised in Miami - and it shows. They actually played *Cuban* music for some of the dance and music scenes - not just generic Salsa, the cafecito was served correctly - not like espresso, etc. And most importantly I think they captured the typical early-Exile feeling towards the US - they love this country fiercely and know how to work the system like a *native*, but they still have a deep connection to Cuba and Cuban culture. There was also a nod to the difference between *traditional* Exiles and Balseros.

All in all it looks promising, as long as they don't succumb to negative stereotypes that may make for a good story but are inaccurate and offensive, and they don't get lazy about the cultural details.

Veremos...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

Maybe if it's a success there they'll show it here.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I want to see it -- Jimmy Smits -- I just love him. I'm glad to hear that you came away with a generally good impression of it. I missed it - - I wish it were on On Demand.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Karoda said...

I want to watch simply because you've given a nod to it...but I already have conflicts with Boston Legal and Damages coming on at the same time. I'll see what I can work out.

10:26 AM  
Blogger TroyBoy said...

I didn't like it. Okay, so I am not Cuban but I'm married to one. She said their accent when speaking English did not sound authentically Caribbean.

And where in the heck is the town of Playa Azul supposed to be? Playa means beach but there's nothing but sugar cane fields. Hmmmm.

My wife fell asleep during the show but I watched the whole episode. It seems to me like it will be a Cuban Miami themed night time soap along the lines of Falcon Crest or Dallas.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Troy - I think that for the most part the accents were far less mexican/Central American than we usually get when people are supposed to be Cuban. The girl who plays Smits' wife, for example, is Colombian - but she's got the Cuban accent down pat, I thought she was Cuban.

From what I gathered, Playa Azul is supposed to be a town in the environs of Palm Beach - basically on the East coast from the sugar cane areas of Belleglade, etc.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home