The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Friday, October 5, 2007

YAY! A Book Meme!

I found this over at 50 Books and it's a meme and it's about books. HELLO! Talk about a no-brainer-this-is-gonna-suck-Hilda-in exercise!

So here we go...

Hardcover or paperback, and why? Paperback, because they fit better in your purse.

If I were to own a book shop I would call it: A Good Book for Your Shelf

My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is: I have a lot. Today I'll go with - from "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker:
"'I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it."

The author (alive or dead) I would love to have lunch with would be: Harper Lee

If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except from the SAS survival guide, it would be: "The Oxford Book of American Short Stories"

I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that: Serves as both a highlighter and a book mark


The smell of an old book reminds me of - My father - we went to so many used book stores together...

If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be: Holly Golightly in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

The most over-rated book of all times is: For *me* and I realize this is very subjective - Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" - I just don't get it.

I hate it when a book: Messes up details which makes me focus on the mistake and takes me out of the story

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

Oh boy...let's you and I have lunch with Harper Lee together because she would be my pick as well. And I'd be quizzing the heck out of her about growing up with Truman Capote.

I feel sort of bad that you didn't read [i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i] when you were a teenager because I think you would relate to the book differently. You know I love this book and it's the book I've re-read more than any other - one a year since I was in high school - I started doing it in 1978 or 1979. It's not my all-time favorite book but I just have this thing about re-reading it every year in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I don't like "The Catcher in the Rye"" either but I was also an adult when I read it and just found Holden to be whiney and snivelling.

10:55 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I hate it when a book acts like I'm stupid and spells out every detail for me. I like to figure things out for myself.

Or, at least, if it IS spelling things out for me, I don't want to know until later and then I say "A-ha! I get it now!"

10:20 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I guess I need to read "Catcher in the Rye" so that I can see for myself. I'm not sure how I didn't read this when apparently the rest of the free world did. I'll do the meme eventually.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Adam Thornton said...

You hooked me with this one too, Hilda!

And I haven't read "Catcher in the Rye," though I keep meaning too. I can sink down to the emotional level of a disaffected teen if necessary.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home