The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Donors Choose




Some of you may have noticed the Donors Choose thingy on the upper left of my Blog. If you have contributed - thank you so much! I love the fact that they support projects requested by teachers targeting specific needs.

After I selected the Harlem Renaissance project for my challenge I saw that as of September, Florida now has some projects in the program.
As I was browsing through them I found that there is a middle school in Miami that doesn't have frickin' frackin' dictionaries for the students! We're talking about kids to whom English is a second language! How are they supposed to learn a language without damned dictionaries?

It's been deemed an "F" school within Dubyuh's NCLB debacle. Gee - ya think maybe they're an "F" school because the kids don't have dictionaries? I'm just saying...


How is it possible that a public school in the United States of America doesn't have dictionaries for students? There are layers and layers of well paid to highly paid administrative staff at the school board level - I'm not talking teachers, I'm talking bureaucrats - with phenomenal benefits and retirement packages but the children in the schools don't have dictionaries.

This is the stuff that makes the mind wobble!



Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Not matter how many times I hear things like this I just can't wrap my mind around it.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Adam Thornton said...

Yeah, who cares about the kids? They're only "the future."

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home