The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cuban Households

I got this from my Aunt via e-mail. Yes, it's chock full of stereotypes and generalizations - but it's not mean spirited.

Most of these are scarily true of my growing-up years - if I don't comment it means it was true for me.
  1. I grew up in a household where coffee, milk and sugar were part of a balanced breakfast
  2. I grew up in a household where my ADD and ADHD was treated with "As soon as I get my hands on you, you are going to get it" instead of Ritalin.
  3. I grew up in a household where all it took was just ONE look.
  4. I grew up in a household where we loved white rice and fried eggs
  5. I grew up in a household where lentil soup was considered "Prisoner Food" - Nope, my grandmother liked lentils and made them often
  6. I grew up in a household where Spanish was my primary language.
  7. I grew up in a household where Spanish was my only language... - No, my parents spoke English to me until I started first grade
  8. I grew up in household where I had to go to my school open house to translate for my parents. - Nope, both my parents were fully bilingual
  9. I grew up in a household where my brother and I shared a room until I was fifteen. - Nope, I'm an only child
  10. I grew up in a household where music or TV was never played on Good Friday. - OHMYGOD! I was just telling Hubby about this! I almost Blogged about it!
  11. I grew up in a household where we ate "bacalao"(cod fish) on Good Friday because all other fish was too expensive.
  12. I grew up in household where we ate pork at Thanksgiving. - Sometimes, not every year
  13. I grew up in a household where we ate pork on Christmas Eve.
  14. I grew up in a household where we ate pork at birthday parties. - Nope
  15. Come to think of it, I grew up in a household where we ate pork at every social function. - Nope
  16. I grew up in a household where Tilo and Manzanilla (Linden & Chamomile) were the remedies to end all ailments.
  17. I grew up in a household where I could have cafe con leche for breakfast but I was too young for a "buchito" (little sip) of coffee. - True, they told me children that drank cafe didn't grow
  18. I grew up in a household where we watched la novela/soap opera while we we re having dinner. - Sometimes
  19. I grew up in a household where I was not allowed to sleepover at anybody's house but they could all come over to our house.
  20. I grew up in a household where we wouldn't have needed cable TV because we only watched "Channel 23" (what is now Univision). - No, we primarily watched English language TV
  21. I grew up in a household where the carpool was "el ride", "el carrito" was the lunch cart and "la lonchera" was the lunch box.
  22. I grew up in a household where meat was from "la carniceria" and the groceries were from "la bodega".
  23. I grew up in a household where meat and potatoes was literally "carne con papas".
  24. I grew up in a household where oxtail stew had the colorful name of "rabo encendido" or "fiery tail".
  25. I grew up in a household where people were either "blanco, negro, indio o chino."/"white, black, Indian or Chinese". - Not in my house, but I knew a lot of people like this
  26. I grew up in a household where we drank Bustelo (coffee brand) because El Pico (a different (coffee brand) was for Puerto Ricans - we drank Bustelo (actually I still do), but I don't know why.
  27. I grew up in a household where either black or red beans, at some point became embedded in the ceiling due to an exploding pressure cooker.
  28. I grew up in a household where the oven was used exclusively to store pots, pans and the used olive oil. - No, my mother liked to cook in the oven
  29. I grew up in a house hold run by Cubans.
  30. I survived in that household run by Cubans - and lived to tell about it!

Fun...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger TroyBoy said...

I grew up living in a double wide in whitesville USA, so I can't relate to these personally but I know that the Mrs. can. I will be sure to share them with her.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Adam Thornton said...

Very cool, thanks for posting this!

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home