The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

American Idol Recap - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame



So tonight the kids could've picked pretty much any rock and roll song...let's see what they came up with.

David Cook - Hungry Like the Wolf - Really David? You could pick virtually any song by any rock and roll singer or group of significance and you choose Duran Duran? Really? Well, I pretty much hate this song, largely because I really hated the video. Sadly after Cook's performance, my opinion of the song didn't change; I didn't like his performance at all; I thought it was boring and his voice was uneventful; again - a sucky song will do that to you. Score - 6

Syesha - Proud Mary - That's what I'm talking about - fantastic song! This song, made a classic by both Creedence Clearwater Revival who performed it first and by Ike and Tina Turner who had a major hit with it - obviously Syesha went with Tina Turner's version and she rocked it out! It was a perfect choice for her; she looked beautiful and she totally sold it! Score - 9

Jason - I Shot the Sheriff - Jason, Jason, Jason, you're killing me; I love the song, but you don't mess with Bob Marley even if you have dreads; the performance was not only weak, it was weird; it didn't work. Score - 3

David Archuleta - Stand By Me - Pretty song, but boring and safe; he sang it beautifully; it was a good choice for him; I didn't hate it, but I was bored. Score - 8

David Cook - Baba O'Riley - One of the great rock and roll songs; a fantastic choice, almost makes up for the Duran Duran aberration; his voice sounded great, his performance was spot on; too bad the song had to be cut short - I'll probably buy the studio version from iTunes to get the whole performance. Score - 10

Syesha - A Change Is Gonna Come - Amazing song; perfect choice; she looks beautiful and she sang it beautifully; she made me cry while she was performing, and even more after the performance. Score - 8

Jason - Mr. Tambourine Man - I'm a huge Dylan fan and I love this song and when he said he was singing it I cheered because it is perfect for him - unless he forgets the lyrics!; WTH Jason?; other than that the performance was great, this should have been gold for him; (sigh). Score - 6

Archuleta - Love Me Tender - (yawn) again, pretty song, boring and safe; again he sang it very well, but I didn't like the arrangement; I liked "Stand By Me" better. Score - 7

Combined Average Score (rounded up):

David Cook - 8
Syesha - 8
Jason - 5
David Archuleta - 8

Wishes:

My Bottom Two - David Archuleta and Jason

Who do I want to see leave? - David Archuleta - yes I know I gave Jason a lower score, but I always want Archuleta to leave.

Predictions:

Their Bottom Two - Jason and Syesha

Who will leave? Jason

So, what do you think? Is it bye bye for my Jason, or will his pretty eyes save him for another week?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam Thornton said...

There's been a bit of a trend during the last ten years to separate 80's songs from their original context, and reevaluate them on their own merits. I think it started when Frente covered New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle," and everybody said...hey, that's a really beautiful piece of songwriting!

Duran Duran has gotten this treatment as well -- I have a totally-serious collection of Duran Duran songs done in minimalist jazz style from Danish group Mor -- and while Le Bon's lyrics tended to be a bit pretentious, I do believe that most of the songs are solid.

"Hungry Like the Wolf," however, is a bit on the silly side. And it -- along with "Rio" -- is really hard to separate from the video. But most other Duran Duran songs sound surprisingly adept when you take away the bombastic production and skinny ties.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

I predict an all David final. I would like to see Cook win, but people love Archuleta.

BTW, don't you think he looks like the Ugly Betty character without boobs, glasses and braces? Maybe he can do a guest appearance as the long lost brother.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

I am going to go out on a limb and predict that the finals will be a David Cook/Syesha contest. Idol loves to have the battle of the sexes going on, and Syesha is the only one who has consistently gotten better and better, another thing the Idol people like.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home