The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Monday, October 9, 2006

Book Review - "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd


I was disappointed by this book. While I enjoyed Monk Kidd's writing - as usual - this story didn't work for me. Specifically I found her relationship with Whit (Brother Thomas) unnecessary. Not only did it not help the narrative, IMO, it lessened the story and the characters.

I think the story would have been better if Monk Kidd had instead focused on the other aspects of the novel - Jessie's midlife discontent, her father's death, her mother's condition and her relationship with her mother, her relationships with her husband and daughter, the relationships of the other island women, more information on the Gullah culture, etc.

There is no comparison to "The Secret Life of Bees" which I found magical and more compelling. Also Sue Monk Kidd's non-fiction "Dance of the Dissident Daughter" was, IMO, fantastic - and had a resounding impact on me.

I would recommend other Sue Monk Kidd books before I would recommend "The Mermaind Chair".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home