The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I'm Coming Out...

...as a Diabetic.

Yes ladies and gentlemen I am one of the six million people in the US who are afflicted with Type 2 Diabetes. Finally my lifestyle has caught up with me!

I've been taking Metformin (the generic Glucophage) for over a year to see if my numbers would come under control, but in early July I was referred to an endocrinologist and I was issued a glucose meter, assigned to diabetic training classes, given a meal plan, etc. Because the change in diet and subsequent weight loss has not lowered and/or stabilized the numbers, according to the nurse with whom I've been working the endocrinologist will probably adjust my meds and possibly put me on some kind of insulin, at least for a while. According to her I'm definitely producing insulin it's just not working effectively.

To give you an idea, I've been doing at least twice daily reading for almost a month and haven't gone below 150, including the first reading of the morning which should be between 70 and 100. I'm just too damned sweet for my own good. No seriously, it's messed up.

I was surprised at how relatively easy the change in diet has been. Luckily I don't crave sweets, carbs are more of my problem. As long as I plan my meals I can more or less keep them under control. I'm also lucky that I really like veggies and fruit and fish and *the good stuff*, so eating veggies instead of starches is not a major trauma for me.

My biggest problems are portion control and absolute lack of exercise - I'm working on both. Really, I promise!

Up to now only 2 or 3 people knew. Mainly because I don't like - well intentioned as I know it is - people monitoring me. You know, reminding me I shouldn't eat something, etc. I know it seems ungrateful but it just bugs the crap out of me.

I'm *going public* because clearly this is a major lifestyle change and will be a significant part of my life. This isn't turning into a "Diabetic's Life" blog - there are several very good ones out there - because I prefer this to be a more stream-of-consciousness-whatever-is-on-my-mind blog. But at some point I'm bound to write about it.

I don't plan to stop my monthly girls' coffee night at Starbucks or my monthly Culinarily Adventurous Girls Club dinners. I'll just work the rest of my day's meals around them. For example at the last coffee night - I was already on the new meal plan - I knew my Venti Low Fat Orange Mocha was going to be high in carbs, so for dinner I had a can of asparagus and a small steak - practically no carbs. So the coffee hit wasn't so bad. And sure enough, my bedtime reading was what it would have been if I had eaten the usual dinner.

So, this is just another curve in the long and winding road that is life. Wish me luck!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

I was diagnosed with diabetes 3 years ago. Sometimes my numbers are good, sometimes they suck. Lately they've sucked because I've gotten away from regular exercise. It makes all the difference in the world.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Adam Thornton said...

Good luck!

I was diagnosed as a Type I diabetic when I was five, and I've spent a lot of time dealing with diabetes on my own. I've realized that it's invaluable to get professional advice, but many professionals (generally non-diabetics) just don't acknowledge the random element.

Sometimes you can do everything right, and your blood sugar is STILL off. I was taught to be ashamed and repentent about high blood sugar, and it's only the last year that I've realized that the human body is a hugely complex thing...it's not a computer that you plug values into and get an unambiguous answer.

And yes, it's really annoying being monitored by other people, especially when their idea of diabetes is simply that "you can't eat sugar." When I get frustrated with those people, they just think I'm in some kind of denial.

Good luck, don't hate yourself when you slip up or your body does something crazy, and consider this positive aspect: diabetes can certainly provide structure to your life!

I've been thinking about a blog post describing what it's like to have low or high blood sugar...now I'm inspired.

DISCLAIMER: Like I said I'm Type I, so I might know less about Type II than I think I do.

8:51 AM  
Blogger sari said...

Good luck! I always have a problem where my blood sugar levels are veering towards "high" but after numerous blood tests, the doctors conclude I'm fine. It's worse when I'm pregnant, but that's just how I am.

I wish you all the best and promise I won't monitor you.

;-)

11:11 AM  
Blogger Karoda said...

its a pain to deal with and a continous struggle. i hope you get managing it down to an art... i've been struggling with it continuously for about 3-4 years...

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you're producing insulin but it's not working - insulin resistance. Not fun stuff at all.

With all the diabetes testing and such, have any of your doctors tested your hormone levels? Insulin resistance is the hallmark of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It does often lead to diabetes, but often forms of hormone treatment can help in conjunction with diabetes treatment. In my case I take 2000 mg of Metformin a day and birth control pills.

It sounds like you're doing great! It's all about balance. As for the exercise, there's a wonderful yoga DVD for plus-size girls: "Megan Garcia: Just My Size Yoga". She also has a book called "Mega Yoga". It's a great way to start moving. Plus, the relaxation aspects of yoga often helps lower blood sugar, too.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Hmmm..that yoga DVD sounds interesting. Maybe I could do that and start getting some exercise. Hmmm...maybe...

It sounds like you are doing everything you need to be doing. I know that you are loosing weight with the changes that you have already made in your diet. I'm hoping that we can experiment with some of your new recipies and make them part of my regular repertoire.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home