The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Monday, December 24, 2007

Noche Buena


It's Christmas Eve day. Last year I told you all about Noche Buena, so I don't have to do that again. Today I'm going to talk about how we're spending tonight.

When I was younger, my parents would either host Noche Buena and everyone would come to our house, or we would go to my godmother's house. It was always a big to-do, with at least 25 people and up to almost 40. As the years passed the kids grew up, moved away, got in-laws they had to visit, the older folks passed away, and my parents' generation got old and sick. I'm glad my husband was able to enjoy a couple of the big family Noche Buena celebrations before they stopped.

Since my father died and my mother began deteriorating, and because I'm an only child and don't have kids, we didn't really have a crowd with whom to celebrate. For a couple of years we got together with my mother and had a nice dinner, but now, she can't really stay up late and "being on" for too long overwhelms her. So, what we do is have a big Cuban Christmas day lunch with her at her favorite Cuban restaurant.

We are blessed to have one of my oldest friends who along with her "americano" husband host a big, loud, honking Cuban-style Noche Buena invite us to their home. So tonight we will be having a pit-roasted whole pig that's been marinating since yesterday, along with all the trimmings and lots of wine. We are so thankful that they have *adopted* us. They also have us over at Thanksgiving when we don't go to my in-laws' in Pennsylvania.

Now that Hubby has a more flexible schedule we plan to alternate between Thanksgiving and Christmas in PA. Whenever we're not there, my friend has issued a standing invitation to her house. That is one of the greatest gifts and one for which we are very thankful.

I hope all who read this are blessed to have at least one of that kind of friend.

I also hope everyone has a magical holiday full of love and laughter and that you get all the really important stuff on your wish lists - that's usually the stuff you don't write down and that can't be ordered on-line or gotten at the mall.

From me to you, dear reader..."Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night".

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Twango said...

How neat reading about Noche Buena. I so enjoy learning how other cultures spend the same holidays.

Nocha Buena
Buon Natale
E un Felice Anno Nuovo

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall you educating me about Noche Buena and that nugget platter - what I consider to be the middle of candy bars . . . Hope you had an excellent XMAS!

Mary

9:46 AM  
Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

I always managed to get myself adopted for Noche Buena when I lived in Miami. Loved it! But Christmas in Connecticut is pretty cool, too (gee, someone should make a movie). Stop by my blog and see the picture of suicidal ice fisherman!

11:58 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home