The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My Heart Stopped

It was around 3 p.m. and I was engrossed in my work - so much so that I ignored the e-mail notification that a CNN Breaking News message had arrived. Then I heard someone in the office say, quite loudly: "What? A plane crashed into a building in New York?"

I froze. Everyone heard it and for a beat, no one spoke.

It all came rushing back - those feelings from 9/11. Queasy, cold, vertigo...

Then I checked the CNN message, followed the link, and eventually it seemed clear that it had been a horrible accident, not what we all feared.

As more news was revealed later in the day it turned out to be Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle and his flight instructor who crashed into an aprtment building. The feelings changed to sadness at the loss of a young man who left behind a wife and son while pursuing his passion for flying, and also quiet relief that there weren't more deaths.

As I pray for the families of those who died, and for the quick healing of those who were injured - I also say a prayer of thanks that our national nightmare wasn't repeated.

1 Comments:

Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

I think we all breathed a collected "Whew" when we realized it wasn't an attack. It seemed so impossible that anyone in a plane would be allowed to fly low over Manhattan, period. I wonder if we'll ever know what really happened.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home