The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Monday, February 12, 2007

The Dixie Chicks



The Dixie Chicks sang "Not Ready to Make Nice," but the Grammy Awards were certainly ready to make them winners, honoring the trio with five awards Sunday night.

The Chicks, who ignited controversy four years ago when lead singer Natalie Maines criticized President Bush on the eve of the Iraq war, won all five of the awards for which they were nominated, including the big three: album of the year (for "Taking the Long Way"), song of the year and record of the year (both for "Not Ready to Make Nice")...

...The Chicks had a difficult time in the years before recording "Taking
the Long Way." Once the biggest-selling group in country music -- the Chicks' first two albums, "Wide Open Spaces" and "Fly" -- were two of the most popular country albums ever -- they found themselves abandoned by country radio stations and pilloried by many fans for their political stand. Indeed, with "Taking the Long Way" the group members have said they don't consider themselves country artists anymore...

...Ironically, the Chicks' other awards included best country
performance by a duo or group with vocal and best country album for "Taking the Long Way."

From "Not Ready to Make Nice"
I made by bed, and I sleep like a baby,
With no regrets and I don't mind saying,
It's a sad sad story
That a mother will teach her daughter
that she ought to hate a perfect stranger.
And how in the world
Can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Saying that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

I'm not ready to make nice,
I'm not ready to back down,
I'm still mad as hell
And I don't have time
To go round and round and round
It's too late to make it right
I probably wouldn't if I could
Cause I'm mad as hell
Can't bring myself to do what it is
You think I should
I was thrilled that the Dixie Chicks received all the awards for which they were nominated. It really is a great song and a great album.
Good for them!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

I was thrilled too. Well deserved.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

The Dixie Chicks' album is the only one we've bought in years. We love it!

6:32 PM  
Blogger sari said...

I was very happy as well. I can't believe the uproar caused by expressing one's opinion. In my mind, it's b-s that there was such a stink in the first place.

Did you hear Natalie's Nelson impression from the Simpsons? Made me laugh my head off.

It was a good night!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home