The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Book Review - "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger


I really enjoyed this book even though I had trouble with it at first. I find the story to be very *magically realistic* even if it isn't officially deemed as Magical Realism - and I always have trouble with magical realism in literature.

Once I got over trying to figure out what was happening when, I was able to enjoy the story of a man who travels back and forth in time throughout his wife's life. He first meets her when he's an adult and she's a little girl and their lives continue to intersect until eventually they get married.

I will say though that this was one of those books that has an extremely long "middle". I was reading every day and the damned book mark was still "in the middle"!

Niffenegger weaves a wonderful story creating characters that are well-developed and that you care about. And to top it all off it has one of the most beautiful endings I've read in a long time. Of course being the dork I am, I cried my eyes out.

I highly recommend this book, but in order to really enjoy it, be willing to suspend your disbelief and just go with it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

I really enjoyed this book. And the end is something else, isn't it?

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home