The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Meme - You were a girl growing up in the 70s if...




I got this in an e-mail from a friend and thought it would do nicely for a Blog entry. If you'd like, copy it on to your Blog and tell us if these things applied to you...just let me know in my Comments please!


  • You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked - I had a doctor's kit but don't remember if the stethoscope worked

  • You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it - Yep - my bike was blue, the banana seat was white, I had a plastic basket with blue flowers *and* the handle bars had blue an white tassels! It was awesome.

  • You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels - OK, "learned to skate" is really strong wording; let's just say I *owned* the pretty white boot skates with actual wheels

  • You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute - Nope, I liked the doctor, I always had a thing for older men - until I married a younger one!

  • You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island - No...I had a crush on Ricard Montalban - the older man thing again...

  • You had either a "bowl cut" or "pixie", not to mention the "Dorothy Hamill" - I had the Dorothy Hamill wedge, looked goooood!

  • You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days - I never had rubber boots, but I did own Moon Boots in my 20s for ski trips (don't ask!) - they are really comfortable!

  • You owned a "Slip-n-Slide", on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once - Nope, I wasn't allowed to have a Slip and Slide but I don't remember really wanting one

  • You owned "Klick-Klacks" and smacked yourself in the face more than once - I did own a set - they were amber colored - I never hit my face with them, but I did have bruises all over my arms. They were eventually confiscated in a raid at school, I never got them back

  • Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession - Nope, by the time it came out I think I was a bit too old for Holly Hobbie

  • You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers - Sadly yes, and maxis and midis and popcorn body-shirts as well

  • You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon - Actually I got "Merlin" instead

  • You had the Donny and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits, or the sunshine family - I didn't have the dolls but I loved the show, hell Marie's getting my vote on Dancing with the Stars every week!

  • You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once. - Nope, never had a swing set or a trapeze; as you can see my aversion to physical activity and/or the outdoors goes way back, although I love swings!

  • You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color - Don't know what these are

  • You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle) - Nope, but I did have Earth Shoes

  • You also had a pair of salt-water sandals - Not sure what these are

  • You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Oleson! - Not a bit, I was never into the whole farmer out on the range settler thing. Laura and Nellie both annoyed me. I liked Laura's sister Mary, the one that went blind.

  • You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink! Bwahahahaha, me - roller rink! Uh, no.

  • PONG! ("video tennis" ) was the most remarkable futuristic game you've ever heard of ! - Yeah it was pretty cool!

  • Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket. When you walked, the "wings" flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna "take off" - Yep, that would be the Farrah Fawcett/Kristy McNichol phase

  • You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie - I know who they are, but never owned any, again I was a bit too old when they came out. Scary part - there's baaaaack!

  • You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic. With the thermos inside some were glass inside and broke the first time you dropped them - I was never into the Muppets, but I did carry a Partridge family lunch box with a glass thermos for a while. I wish I would've kept that, they're worth a mint now!

  • You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend - No, I recognized the Dukes of Hazzard as the aberration they were even then!

  • YOU had Star Wars action figures, too! - Nope

  • It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV - Yes, the same applies to "The Sound of Music" and "The Ten Commandments"

  • You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy?" - Well *I* was never allowed to own a Magic 8 Ball because my grandmother thought it was evil witchcraft and my parents didn't think it warranted arguing with her. However when I played with my friends' Magic 8 Ball I would never ask *that* question because I was *certain* I would marry David Cassidy!

  • You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album - Yes, and actually bought more than one copy of Saturday Night Fever and Grease

  • You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom - The only one I did was the weird pot-holders on the plastic loom thing. I have no idea what "yarn and Popsicle stick God's eyes are, but I'm scared.

  • You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! - Yes to the Shrinky-Dinks, no way on the kittens. I was a rainbow and unicorn girl. (Stop laughing at me Dixie!)

  • You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker - Absolutely!

  • You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat - Yes to both

  • You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books. (Are you there God, It's me, Margaret.) - Actually I had never read a Judy Blume book until last year

  • You thought Olivia Newton John's song "Physical" was about aerobics - Isn't it?

  • You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs - No idea what this is referring to

  • You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer - Never!

  • You drowned yourself in Love's Baby Soft, which was the first "real" perfume you ever owned - No, the first "real" perfume I ever owned was "Chantilly"

  • You glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip-gloss till it almost dripped off - Oh yeah, that super sexy spaghetti grease look...:)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam Thornton said...

Ahhh, wonderful! I was only eight when the '70s ended, but I vividly remember my older sister being involved with most of these things.

The popsicle stick God's eyes were just crosses made with two popsicle sticks, and you'd sort of weave the multi-coloured yarn around and around until you got a circular psychedelic pattern. I did make them.

I had a radio shaped like Snoopy lying on his doghouse, which I'd hold my tape recorder up to...I still have those tapes.

I thought "Physical" was just a song about a bored girl who wished her boyfriend was more exciting.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home