The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

UN World Diabetes Day


Today is World Diabetes Day. Obviously, this is now an issue for me - so I'm thrilled the UN has designated a day for Diabetes awareness.

How has my life changed since August 8 of this year when I
came out ? I have changed my diet considerably, although lately I have been slipping a bit. I still haven't started exercising (sigh, I know, I know) but I'm thinking about it more.

Coincidentally I had my third appointment with my endocrinologist on Monday and even though my sugar is still too high, the daily readings have gone down an average of 30 points since the last time. He took about 95 gallons of blood to run tests (OK, so it was three test tubes - still!), the results of which are due today.

As a mater of fact, as I was writing this I called the Doctor to see if my numbers were in (because you know, I'm me!) and the girl was just getting ready to call me. The important marker everyone looks for is the A1c number. The American Diabetes Association recommends the average be below 7, my doctor wants me under 6.9. The last time I tested it back in July it was 10.2! Today it's 7.2 - YAY me!

Thanks so much to all who have offered me words of encouragement and thought good thoughts for me. It is most definitely a life-changing diagnosis, the trick is to allow it to make your life better.

For what it's worth, the next time you go see your primary care physician, have them test your sugar levels. If caught early it is much easier to control.

And for today, think a thought for the many in this country - and the world - who are walking around with Diabetes 2 without knowing it and don't have the means necessary to diagnose and treat it - sadly, it most likely won't end well for them.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

You go girl! I am so proud of you. 7.2 sounds like a substantial drop to me! Keep it up! it looks like you are almost there.
...and you were predicting being placed on insulin shot this visit....like you know anything! :)

4:30 PM  
Blogger sari said...

That's great! I'm so glad to hear this!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I'm so pleased to hear this. My husband has diabetes but he does not make the effort to change his life the way you have. The last time he went to the doctor, he was told he might lose his pancreas.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said...

Go, girl.
There's a free website called www.fitday.com. It's supposedly a diet and weight loss site, but the main idea is that you enter your food each day and it gives you back the fat, carbs, fiber, vitamins, minerals, calories, etc. that you consumed that day. I have a relative who used it when he had to learn to watch his carbs and sugar to control his diabetes, and it really helped him.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home