The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Friday, January 18, 2008

The Lola Shuffle - The "I Watched a Disturbing Rap Video This Morning" Edition


I mean really! It involves Snoop and 50 Cent (aka "Fitty") and some other people I don't know but apparently are big in the "Gangsta Rap" world.

This had to be the most blatantly vile, misogynistic, sexist, crude, tacky rap video ever. The song is called P.I.M.P. (Remix). Go ahead and check out the lyrics while I throw up in my mouth a little bit. Be warned, there is nasty language in there, but the "bad" words aren't really the problem - it's the whole point of the song. Y'all know I'm no prude, but come on!

This wouldn't bother me so much except that the video was playing at 7:45 a.m. on one of the digital video channels. Now, yes most of the bad language wasn't heard, but really it was the images that got to me. Of course there a plethora of scantily-clad beautiful girls of all races and sizes writhing all over the men, some of them thrusting their rumps into the camera (?), etc. But at one point there was a guy holding a leash with three attached to it! What the hell?

The worst part is, the beat is awesome. If you don't listen to the words, it's a great party song - which makes it all the more insidious. I guess I'm officially old now...I just don't get it. Oy, vey, the mind wobbles.

OK, that's it now I'll let Lola shuffle up some music that promises to be *pimp free*!

  1. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - The Beatles
  2. Me and Julio Down By The School Yard - Paul Simon (Genius! One of my favorite Simon songs)
  3. The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
  4. Be My Life's Companion - The Mills Brothers (Their voices are like velvet...)
  5. Don't Know Why - Norah Jones (Her first hit - rememebr how refreshing she was? Easy, elegant, beautiful voice. Great song.)
  6. Let the River Run - Carly Simon (Awesome - probably my favorite Carly Simon song!)
  7. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone (Lola is on a roll - phenomenal rendition of this song. Again, what a voice!)
  8. Whenever, Wherever - Shakira (Wow - this hadn't played in a while - I lke it.)
  9. Lonely People - America
  10. I Would Die 4 U - Prince (Perfect! I loves me some diminutive purple one! These lyrics are great...and by the way, how many years before text messaging did Prince start writing that way?)

Lola, that was wonderful, it was exactly what I needed! Good job...

Have a wonderful weekend!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

And you know what really bothers me? Not the men who think crap like that is okay but the women who think it is. Egad!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Dix: Both bother me -- I always loved Queen Latifah because of her song that stated that this was NOT okay. And Pink -- I like her for the same reason.

I also love the diminutive purple one -- he has always been awesome.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Adam Thornton said...

A pimp-free playlist as long as we're sure that Desmond wasn't a pimp.

I agree all around: awful stuff. I'll never understand the appeal...and there certainly is an appeal, because this music makes millions.

And there's nothing worse than a vile song with a good beat. I feel conflicted whenever I hear The Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up." No matter the defense of the song (that it is not apparently about domestic abuse) or the defense of gangsta rap in general (that it is "reflecting a reality" as opposed to promoting it), I can't believe that 99.9% of the listeners don't see the songs as endorsements.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home