The Mind Wobbles

So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...

Sunday, February 17, 2008

A New Project

My friend purplepassion and I have embarked on a new project, because you know we don't have enough going on in our lives right now.

We want to collect recipes for traditional Cuban home-cooking and be taught by the "experts" - our mothers, grandmothers, aunts, older friends, etc. and then we want to preserve them and share them - hence the inception of a new Blog: Cuban Home Cooking ...Keeping the Tradition Alive. TA, DAAAA...

So Sunday 2/17 we met at the home of one of one of our best friend's mother - her name is Miriam, and she's fabulous. She taught us how to make Ham Croquettes - Cuban style. We had a blast! While we waited for the croqueta mixture to cool, we drank wine, looked at old photo albums, told and listened to stories, and basically just enjoyed ourselves.

Although this had been planned for a while it was particualrly good for *me* at this time to spend time with a "mom". She talked about stuff my parents used to tell me about and we talked about common friends, and about stuff I would've talked to my mother about.

At the end of the day we had croquetas to take home and the memory of an afternoon spent by women of different generations but with so much in common.

Anyway, please go check out the new Blog and tell me what you think!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger sari said...

this sounds great, hilda! I'm going to go check it out.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Karoda said...

hilda, this is so fabulous! i love spending time with my aunts and mother...inevitably, the talk always turns to recipes and cooking :) i'll be checking in on your cuban cuisine blog :)

6:07 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Hilda: I so looking forward to trying some of the recipes on this new blog. We don't have Cuban restaurants here and the one restaurant that did make Cuban food for awhile stopped making it.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

That is a great idea, Hilda! And I'm glad you got to spend time with those who adore you.

5:42 PM  
Blogger TroyBoy said...

Yeah, okay, that warm fuzzy stuff sounds wonderful...now where are my damn croquetas!?!? :-)

7:02 AM  
Blogger Marcia Pirani said...

Hilda, you are a genious! Can we submit?

6:29 AM  
Blogger Marcia Pirani said...

Sorry, "genius" duh!

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home