The Mind Wobbles
So many things to absorb, think about, deal with and put up with - it simply makes the mind wobble...
2008 Elections (an occasional and ongoing topic)
I'm ready for the Presidential elections. OK, I was ready in November 2004 when Dubyuh was re-elected, but now I can see the light at the end of the Dubyuh-tunnel-from-hell.
I've started researching the announced and potential Democratic candidates. As I understand it, this is how they break down as of today, if I found an official or unofficial candidacy web site, I've linked them - otherwise I linked their Wikipedia entry:Official Candidates - officially declared their candidacy for the 2008 Presidential Election by filing the necessary papers with the FEC:
Potential Candidates with established exploratory committees:
Announced Candidates - have said that they will run for the Democratic nomination for President, but have not yet filed the necessary papers with the FEC:
Potential Candidates that have not yet established exploratory committees: Lots of good people - this seems to be shaping up to be a great race!
Labels: 2008 Presidential Elections, Politics
Dissing Dubyuh because I can (at least for now)
Needless to say I am beyond upset about the whole troop surge bullshit and pretty much anything this man does at this point. But rather than bitch about it (today) I'm gonna post some funnies I received from a friend. And remember, you gotta laugh to keep from crying...
Bush Bumper Stickers
1/20/09: End of an Error
That's OK; I Wasn't Using My Civil Liberties Anyway
Let's Fix Democracy in This Country First
If You Can Read This, You're Not Our President
Hey Bush Supporters: Embarrassed Yet?
Impeachment: It's Not Just for Blowjobs Anymore
America: One Nation, Under Surveillance
They Call Him "W" So He Can Spell It
Jail to the Chief
No, Seriously, Why Did We Invade Iraq?
We Need a President Who's Fluent in at Least One Language
We're Making Enemies Faster Than We Can Kill Them
The Republican Party: Our Bridge to the 11th Century
What Part of "Bush Lied" Don't You Understand?
At Least Nixon Resigned
Are We Kinder and Gentler Yet?
Bush Doesn't Care About White People, Either (sigh)
Labels: Humor, Politics
And I am telling you I'm not going.
You're the best man I'll ever know.
There's no way I can ever go,
No, no, no, no way,
No, no, no, no way
I'm livin' without you.
"And I Am Telling You, I'm Not Going" from the musical "Dream Girls"...sadly, the reason its in my head is not because I heard the phenomenal Jennifer Holliday *or* the newly fabulous Jennifer Hudson singing it. No, it's in my head from the absolutely hilarious 1/13 "Saturday Night Live" performance by Jake Gyllenhaal - who by the way looked *dayum* good in the dress and sounded pretty good as well. Google it, it's out there. Unfortunately the You Tube link I saw has been deleted "at the request of NBC". Kill-joys.
Sari Made Me...
Sari - The Inner Geek - "tagged" me with this meme, which is fine because I have an abnormal attraction to these things, so even if she hadn't tagged me I would have stolen it shamelessly.
So here we go:
1. If you had to choose one vice in exclusion of all others, what would it be?Watching TV. I can watch anything, particualrly now with 72 gabillion channels, and just lull myself into a stupor, which right now sounds phenomenal.
2. If you could change one specific thing about the world, what would it be?No more hungry children. It's unacceptable.
3. Name the cartoon character you identify with the most.Easiest question on the meme: Daria . Only she's smarter than I am - but it gives me something for which to strive.
4. If you could live one day of your life over again, which one would it be?My wedding day.
5. If you could go back in history and spend a day with one person, who would it be?John F. Kennedy
6. What is one thing you lost, sold or threw away that you wish you had back?A book about food whose name i can't remember and I haven't been able to figure it out online. It talked about the history of food, how food is and was used in rituals, traditions, etc. Fabulous!
7. What is your one most important contribution to this world?My participation in the fight for Cuban art, music, literature, movies, etc. could be imported to the US and sold legally.
8. What is your one hidden talent that nearly no one knows about?I have a freakish memory for songs and useless information.
9. What is your most cherished possession?The paintings we own.
10. What one person influenced your life the most when growing up?My father.
11. What word describes you better than any other?Curious.
21,500 US Men and Women
US Senators Attack Bush Iraq Plan
In his TV address, Mr Bush said fresh troops in Iraq would help to secure Baghdad's streets as part of the new strategy. He said his country's commitment to Iraq was "not open ended"...Right, it's not open ended, yet he provided no time table for withdrawal of any troops. Sounds pretty open ended to me.
Meanwhile, Republican Senator Chuck Hagel told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee:
"I think this speech given last night by this president represents the most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since Vietnam if it's carried out," Several Republicans are coming out against Dubyuh's latest "strategy". I don't know if it's because they really give a damn about the situation or if they are rats jumping off a sinking ship and I don't really care. Any criticism against this policy, any opposition expressed in any way by anyone is good.
Today we drove past a rally organized by Moveon.org in one day via e-mail. It wasn't huge but it was there...and it was good.
I participated in more than my share of rallies when I was younger...perhaps it's time to start again.
Labels: Current Events, Politics
I Want my Mami
Yep - I'm 43 years old and I want my mother.I've been sick for the last few days, a lovely cold/stomach combo, so maybe I'm reverting to my childhood and wanting my mommy when I don't feel well. Or maybe it's the fact that my mother hasn't called me in 5 days. We've spoken because I've called her, but she hasn't called me.In order to understand the magnitude of that, you have to know that for the last of couple of years my mother has called me an average of 5 times a day on good days, but sometimes as many as 15-20 times on not-so good days, repeating the same message over and over because she forgot she hd already called. Thank God for caller ID. And now - nothing for 5 days.I'm thinking she may be entering the "forget about you unless she's looking at you or talking to you" phase. If so, it's probably better for her because she's at peace, but I gotta tell you it's a bitch for me.I miss the woman my mother was: her sense of humor, her intelligence, her energy, her presence - she was the oft-talked about "force of nature". When Mami walked into a room, you knew it.And now instead of "owning" a room, she sits in one entertaining herself by reading the paper a couple of times because she forgets she already read it, watching TV, re-reading books - and not calling me.Yeah, I want my Mami.
"...to the left, to the left...(sigh)
You must not know 'bout me, you must
not know 'bout me. I could have another you in a minute, matter of fact he'll be here in a minute."
Labels: earworm, music