What a night! What a convention!
Highlights for me:
* Jennifer Hudson - National Anthem, she was lovely and she sang it beautfully, I got chills
* Howard Dean - I still love Dean...he's a great guy and for the mostpart has odne a great job as Chairman of the Party
* Bill Richardson - Love him, love him, love him...I want him to be part of Obama's cabinet, he's too valuable to waste
* will.i.am with John Legend - I'll call it interesting...playing an Obama speech and singnig over it; leave it to will.i.am to do something like that
* Sheryl Crow - fantastic as always; changing the words to her hit song "a chage will do us good"
* Stevie Wonder - I cried! He's just so amazing, energy, talent, emotion; and the balk uop singers were fantastic!
* Al Gore - OHMYGOD he just reminded me of what could have been...how different the world would be right now if he were President! His speech was excellent, hard hitting, smart, it had humor, it was perfect. While there were many speeches that were great during the convention, this one may have been the most beautifully crafted, with the most beautiful langage:
The extraordinary strength of his personal character -- and that of his
wonderful wife, Michelle, who gave such a magnificent address and will be such a wonderful first lady for this country -- their strength of character is grounded in the strengths of the American community.
His vision and his voice represent the best of America. His life experience embodies the essence of our motto -- e pluribus unum -- out of many, one. That is the linking identity at the other end of all the hyphens that pervade our modern political culture. It is that common American identity -- which Barack Obama exemplifies, heart and soul -- that enables us as Americans to speak with moral authority to all of the peoples of the world to inspire hope that we as human beings can transcend our limitations to redeem the promise of human freedom.
* Michael McDonald - his "America the Beautiful" made me cry; he's still so handsome...
And then the man of the hour, the year,the decade - Barack Obama - WOW! His soeech was incredible. He came out swinging and he hit all of them out of the park. The entire speech was wonderful, this was just one of the highlights:
This country of ours has more wealth than any nation, but that’s not what makes us rich. We have the most powerful military on Earth, but that’s not what makes us strong. Our universities and our culture are the envy of the world, but that’s not what keeps the world coming to our shores.
Instead, it is that American spirit – that American promise – that pushes us forward even when the path is uncertain; that binds us together in spite of our differences; that makes us fix our eye not on what is seen, but what is unseen, that better place around the bend. That promise is our greatest inheritance. It’s a promise I make to my daughters when I tuck them in at night, and a promise that you make to yours – a promise that has led immigrants to cross oceans and pioneers to travel west; a promise that led workers to picket lines, and women to reach for the ballot.
And it is that promise that forty five years ago today, brought Americans from every corner of this land to stand together on a Mall in Washington, before Lincoln’s Memorial, and hear a young preacher from Georgia speak of his dream.
Immediately afterwards I went online to http://www.barackobama.com/ and volunteered to do some phone banking from home. Tonight I'll probably be calling New Mexico - they're requesting volunteers who speak Spanish for this area - and start working for Obama.
Yes we can! ¡Si se puede!
So now Lola, shuffle one up for the next President of the United States, arack Obama...
- I Only Wanna Be With You - Dusty Springfield
- People Get Ready - Eva Cassidy (totally random, I swear!)
- Fly Like an Eagle - Steve Miller Band
- Un Poquito De Tu Amor - Desi Arnaz
- Because the Night - 10,000 Maniacs
- I Will Remember You - Sarah McLachlan
- Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
- Ray of Light - Madonna
- Swinging on a Star - Bing Crosby
- Hooked on a Feeling - Vonda Shepard
Lola ROCKED the shuffle today! Good job!
Have a safe, wonderful long weekend having fun with friends and family!
Labels: 2008 Presidential Elections, The Lola Shuffle